We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halifax - not worth a visit

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
567 posts
181 reviews
140 helpful votes
Halifax - not worth a visit

we spent two nights in Halifax and were so disappointed.

To us Halifax is a city without charm. It seems that so many old and historic buildings have been knocked down to build truly ugly new monstrosities.

The only place we liked was the beautiful Public Gardens- otherwise, we should have skipped Halifax completely We loved Lunenburg, Shelburne, and Annapolis Roayl and wished we had spent more time in those delightful places

Edited: 14 June 2017, 12:06
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
80 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

To each their own right?

Everyone likes and enjoys different things when they travel.

I don't look for scenery or history...I enjoy nightlife and restaurants and pubs and Halifax Is great for that.

New Brunswick...
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
53 reviews
38 helpful votes
2. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

I'm sorry to hear that. If you ever return to Halifax perhaps next time you would enjoy the guided ghost tour which focuses on a lot of the older buildings in the city and tells lots of the history of the buildings. Another good area to walk around is to leave the general downtown area and walk the residential neighbourhoods of the south end, the original campus buildings at Dalhousie and Kings University, as well as the residential neighbourhoods around "uptown" Quinpool Road, and the Hydrostone Market area. These areas have many original Victorian style homes. Another building many enjoy is the Alexander Keith's brewery building, as well as the churches in the downtown area, which are available to tour. I would suggest as hotels the Lord Nelson, and The Westin as more historic grand looking hotels compared to the newer options. And The Halliburton House if you prefer a small inn.

Glad to hear you enjoyed other areas of Nova Scotia.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
286 posts
96 reviews
47 helpful votes
3. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

To a certain extent, I agree with Houdi. We spent the last weekend of May in Halifax and were disappointed with a number of highly touted attractions. The boardwalk was under construction in many spots, very few waterfront bars and shops were open and the Farmers Market on a Sunday was dead. Took the ferry across to Dartmouth and it was more of the same.

Highlights included the Citadel and two or three nice meals.

I've been to 40+ states, most Canadian provinces and several other countries and would have hard time recommending Halifax. My co-workers were bewildered when I told them where we were going on vacation and now I know why.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
27,207 posts
15 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

Halifax really comes alive in the summer months ... spring is not a great time to be traveling in the region.

I understand what people are saying here, but comparing the city of Halifax to small town communities like Lunenburg (a UNESCO world heritage site-so of course it will be quaint and preserved) is apples and oranges. Yes - to someone from NYC, Halifax is pretty small, but it is the largest city in the region, and serves a purpose other than as a tourist area. And I would agree with post #2 ... the best part of the city is away from the downtown.... as is usually the case with most cities.

Edited: 15 June 2017, 20:05
Canada
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
23 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

Downtown is torn up with an unusual amount of construction this year. That includes many parking lots, and large portions of the boardwalk. Trust me, we locals hate it more than the tourists do.

May is too early to expect tourist attractions to be open. We've had a horrible spring, and have had frost recently.

Even in a good year, May is not prime tourist time. Come in August or September.

You should have asked questions before you visited - we would have been happy to make suggestions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
567 posts
181 reviews
140 helpful votes
6. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

We visited a week ago - not in May. Everything was open. That was not at all the problem. And its not that Halifax is a smaller city. For us, it was simply that the entire downtown area was a mish-mash of horribly ugly new office buildings, new condo buildings, torn up buildings, new construction and very few charming older structures. We also found that the highest rated restaurants were rather pedestrian. Like for example, McKelvie's seafood restaurant. There were lots of locals enjoying themselves there but we found the seafood to be a C plus at best. Walking long the major downtown streets, like Barrington, was also very boring. Other than the lovely Public Gardens the only other place we enjoyed was the amazing Atlantic Superstore's international section.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
27,207 posts
15 reviews
13 helpful votes
7. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

" only other place we enjoyed was the amazing Atlantic Superstore's international section."

Well.. that explains a lot ...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
567 posts
181 reviews
140 helpful votes
8. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

Yes it explains alot- that there were so few interesting things to see in Halifax that even a superstore provides entertainment! We wished someone has warned us about Halifax

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
27,207 posts
15 reviews
13 helpful votes
9. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

Well houdi ... perhaps if you'd bothered to come to the forum BEFORE you made your trip plans, someone would have warned/informed/assisted you. But a quick check of your posting history shows you did not... poor research on your part.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
62 reviews
40 helpful votes
10. Re: Halifax - not worth a visit

When one checks houdi`s reviews, two things stand out. First, she has very strong opinions, both positive and negative, about places she reviews. Second, she is very well traveled.

I think it would be wise for the Halifax apologists to look at their city through her eyes, from her perspective. I haven`t visited in years but if the downtown is indeed being destroyed, suggesting that she should have visited the parts that haven`t been destroyed is laughable.