We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tattoo

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Tattoo

Would anyone recomend the Tattoo held in Halifax in July?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tattoo

I can honestly say that attending the Nova Scotia International Tattoo is an event you will never forget!! The performances, pageantry, the music, the military tributes are amazing, colorful, spellbinding and worth every penny of the admission. If you go, try not to get a seat down at the floor level, if you can get in the upper lower bowl, or lower upper bowl of the Metro Center, (www,halifaxmetrocentre.com for seating plans) you have a much better view of the patterns involved in the dances, parades, etc.

You will love it. By the way, love your kitty picture!

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tattoo

I have attended the Tattoo about 10 times since it first started in 1979 and, as K.C.Nova Scotia said, it is an event that you will not forget. When it first started the Tattoo was slanted largely towards military pageantry, but it has evolved much over the years and now is a great kaleidoscope of exciting, fast moving events with performers from around the world. Even after 33 years it remains one of the premier tourist events of the year in Nova Scotia and one that you really shouldn't miss.

Then you can head to cape Breton Island!

Cheers

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tattoo

Thank you KCNovaScotia & pfound I have just booked it!!!!! Now I just have to sort out a hotel for 3 nights!!!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tattoo

pfound, looking to go to Cape Breton Island for 3 nights where would you recomend we stay? We were looking at Baddeck.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tattoo

Where you stay on Cape Breton Island really depends on what you want to do while here. I am not a fan of staying in Baddeck and doing day trips to everywhere else from there, but my opinion is perhaps a bit clouded by the fact that my wif and I operate a B&B in Sydney. If you number 1 priority is to stay in one place for the duration of your time on the Island, then Baddeck meets that requirement. It does mean, however, that you have to travel back to baddeck each night which will restrict (somewhat) what else you can do.

I think the preferred way to see the Island and really experience what it has to offer is to ravel (either clockwise or counter-clockwise around the Island and stay in at least 2 spots. On the east side of the Island you have the Fortress of Louisbourg and the Cape Breton Miner's Museum in Glace Bay. If you arrived in the Sydney area direct from Halifax you would have enough time to tour the Cape Breton Miner's Museum taking in the last tour of the day (about 3 PM). If it was a Tuesday then you could have dinner at the Miner's Village restaurant and follow it up with the Men of the Deeps performance at 8 PM in the Theatre at the Miner's Museum. The schedule forthe Men of the Deeps is not out yet but traditionally they perform most Tuesdays in the summer (www.menofthedeeps.com). The next day would be your "Fortress Louisbourg" day. Most of our guests spend the entire day there, have dinner in the Town of Louisbourg and then attend the evening performance at the Louisbourg Playhouse from 8-10. The LBPH schedule isn't out yet either but their nightly show is typically 2 hours of cape Breton/Celtic music with a bit of comedy. Louisbourg and Glace Bay are each 20 minutes from downtown Sydney.

On the west side of the Island are the small communities of Mabou, Inverness, Judique, and Port Hood all of which have their own "ceilidhs during the week. For last years schedule go to www.invernessco.com. I particularly like the Thursday night ceilidh in Inverness which has great local flavour and seems to be as much for the locals as the tourists. You will obviously want to drive the cabot Trail. How long you take to do this will depend on what activities you want to do. I would recommend the whale watching out of Pleasant Bay and, if you are into hiking, I would highly recommend the Skyline Trail halfway between Pleasant Bay and Cheticamp. It is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour hike out along a mountain ridge. It is really more of a walk than a hike, with little change in elevation, and the ocean views along the last part of the Trail are likely the best in the Province.

If I was doing Cape Breton as a tourist I would likely spend 1 night somewhere around Mabou or Inverness, a second around Pleasant bay or cape North and then 2 in the Sydney area. I would stop by Baddeck on my journey for a couple of hours to visit the alexander Graham Bell Museum which is really worth the time. But then I'm a bit prejudiced.

Whatever area you do decide to say in, I would be happy to recommend 4 Star plus accommodations.

As for Halifax, although I don't believe that they havebalconies, The Halliburton, a small Inn with a great location in the downtown waterfront area, is my favourite. They also hve an excellent restaurant.

Cheers

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tattoo

Since K.C.Nova Scotia commented on your cat, I thought I would just put mine on for good measure.

cheers

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tattoo

Glad to know that you have bought your Tattoo tickets as the seat selection gets quite scarce the closer it gets to the Tattoo dates. We have a couple from OH who have stayed at our B&B at Tattoo time for the past four years. We all drive to Hfx for the July 1st matinee performance & they regard it as a "must see" part of their yearly Nova Scotia "experience".

Check www.novascotia.com for licensed, inspected accommodations in our province.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tattoo

Another quick question!!! Do you think we need to book or could we just pitch up and find somewhere easily?? We will be on the Island July 4th through 8th July. Thanks>

Changed my picture to show both my cats!! Asleep on our bed as usual!!!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tattoo

I would always recommend booking well ahead for July and August, particularly in Cape breton. My wife and I often taske 5 days off in August and take a cottage on the beach in the Inverness area. One year we didn't book ahead and while traveling around the Cabot Trail could only find one room available all the way from Cape North to Baddeck - and it was $239. We chose to drive home that night instead. If you don't book ahead you will either end up with accommodations that don't meet your needs or accommodations that aren't worth what you end up paying.

PS - Love your cats.

Cheers

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tattoo

Thanks for the advise pfound, will start looking for somewhere. I think we've changed our minds about Baddeck and will probably do a round trip, as you suggested, stopping at different places. As long as there are good bars with maybe some live music nearby the accommodations we'll be happy!

The whale watching sounds good, we're (or should I say I'm ) not really into hiking so that doesn't appeal too much but we do like scenic drives and visiting museums and seeing different towns and ways of life.

Thanks again for your advise how are you on Prince Edward Island as we're planning to visit there for a few days as well?

Your cat looks very comfy in his/her bed!!

Get answers to your questions about Halifax