We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bedbugs

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bedbugs

“ Bedbugs ”

Oct 27, 2010, 9:38 AM

I have read about the bedbug infestations that are being experienced in some Halifax apartment buildings and know that there have been reports of bedbugs found at hotels. I have to stay in Hfx. soon for a night or two and have in the past been a guest at a variety of hotels there. But now I am apprehensive about this because I fear encountering bedbugs. Is there any way to find out if a place has the bugs? I know you can't go around slandering accommodations with rumours, but also the paying public has a right to know if they'll be sharing their bed with blood feasting critters.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bedbugs

Check recent reviews on tripadvisor and go here:

http://bedbugregistry.com/

It seems to be in apartment buildings with a lot of students and others on a budget.

Edited: 27 October 2010, 13:04
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bedbugs

Bedbugs are becoming a problem everywhere. Just because a hotel or any other type of accommodation has had them in the past doesn't mean they still do, and just because they didn't have them one month, one week, or even one day ago does not mean they are clear of them today. Further, there have been reports of bedbugs on transit, in stores, office buildings, and movie theatres .... any place warm where people and their belongings are. Clearly they are not a problem that is going to go away anytime soon.

Google yourself some information on detection, and protect yourself, not only from staying in an infested accommodation, but perhaps more importantly, from taking them home with you.

For instance, besides checking over the hotel room bed and environs for signs of bedbugs, never, ever put your suitcase on the bed - use the suitcase rack (pulled away from the wall). When you get home, don't take your suitcase up to your bedroom to unpack. If it is cold (below freezing) when you get home, you can upack any liquids and leave your suitcase outside (in the car or out in the garage) overnight.

There are lots of informative pages online - look for the ones published by universities, cities, or public health departments, for authoritative information.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bedbugs

Thanks for the info and the tips!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bedbugs

Hi Atlanticca,

Welcome to the HALIFAX TRAVEL FORUM.

Great info here already… let me add some more.

Even if you never get bit on a trip… a good rule of thumb to protect yourself (and your own home) is to follow the a great advice given by KRP329 above.

NEVER put a suitcase on a bed (the Hotel’s or your own).

If nothing else… this one step can save you from the bedbugs.

My personal MUST DO Routine… is don’t bring your stuff into the house. (Based on posts here over the years on TripAdvisor I find I am not alone in this practice). I usually unpack in the garage… and immediately organize my laundry. WASHING along with COLD & HEAT are two great enemies of bedbugs.

Use the highest setting that your clothes will allow.

And even if you have delicate items that you cannot be laundered, they usually can go in the Dryer on a HOT SETTING for awhile (as long they started out totally dry)…

COLD is the other enemy… Things you can’t Wash can also be put in a zip lock plastic bag and tossed into the freezer. Won’t hurt your clothes… but will ensure that any critters won’t survive.

You can find lots of Websites on the Net dedicated to info on Bedbugs and how to protect yourself… an excellent read.

And Lastly… It is a good idea to store your luggage in a very HOT or very COLD environment… for many the garage is an easy & ideal environment.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

5. Re: Bedbugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 01:53
Get answers to your questions about Halifax