We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for romantic Winter Ontario romantic getaway

London, On
Level Contributor
155 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for romantic Winter Ontario romantic getaway

Hi,

DH and I have traveled to the Caribbean for the past 3 winters but due to health limitations we are looking for some romantic 2-4 day getaway ideas in Ontario. Need some ideas preferably no more than 4 hours from London. Specific names of hotels/B&B's would be appreciated.

Would be interested in an outdoor hot tub or in room whirlpool tub, fireplace, and winter activities including horseback riding, snowmobiling, etc.

We are in our late 20's if that helps!

TIA!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for romantic Winter Ontario romantic getaway

Hi Silverain54,

First let me say, that I am sorry to hear that you and your DH aren't up to your usual trip to warmer climes this winter... BUT be assured that a winter romantic getaway IS possible in Ontario.

I suggest that you start your research by taking a look at the Ontario Finest Inns & Spas collection www.ontariosfinestinns.com

You will find there are properties listed right across Ontario, but certainly the highest concentration would be Southern Ontario... and of that the most selection would be in the Niagara Region.

I personally find that Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake are both romantic destinations in the middle of winter... cold but beautiful is the only way I can decribe the scenery... ice sparkling mist from The Falls upon the trees, gorgeous scenery, pretty NOTL, some of the finest dining & wine in all of Canada, romantic B&Bs (or Country Inns), with first class accommodations. Spas, Shopping, Winery Visits, Caleche Rides, Sleigh Rides, Horseback Riding... and so much more. ww.niagaraonthelake.com/

Also, check out the TA NIAGARA FALLS and NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE Pages and TRAVEL FORUMS for a ton more info.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for romantic Winter Ontario romantic getaway

Within 4 hours of London is also Collingwood or Huntsville.The outdoor winter activities you mentioned would most likely be found at a larger resort like the Deerhurst or even at the Marriott Rosseau in Minnett.

marriott.com/hotels/…

http://www.deerhurstresort.com/

But I think Blue Mountain in Collingwood is definitely more for a twenty-something couple in terms of activities and nightlife.

http://www.bluemountain.ca/

The Delta Grandview is also near Huntsville, has very nice accommodations and would likely be able to help you with activities in the area. This is the description on their website of the luxury 1 bedrooms:

<<These suites have one bedroom and a separate living room with a pullout sofabed, wood burning fireplace, cable TV, DVD player, full sized kitchen and single Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom.

The dining room table provides seating for four to six people.

Bed type: one Queen bed plus a pullout sofabed.

View: Combination of forest, golf and lakeside views available.>>

For romance in a gorgeous setting and luxurious rooms I would look no farther than Langdon Hall near Cambridge. Close to Elora and St. Jacobs, it may not offer much in the way of winter activities, but is very quiet and elegant if you wanted two different types of weekends. It would be a splurge though!

http://langdonhall.ca/

And for an option very close to home I wouldn't discount Bayfield. Again, that would be for a quiet romantic weekend.

http://www.littleinn.com/

For more resorts with winter activities check here:

www.resorts-ontario.com/search/?e=AS&fs=AS

Hope that gives you some ideas.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for romantic Winter Ontario romantic getaway

Collingwood is Ontario's playground in the winter.

http://www.scandinaveblue.com/

clubintrawest.com/public/en/where/blue.asp

Toronto
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for romantic Winter Ontario romantic getaway

I agree with wine 4-2, Ontario's Finest will have something that works for you. Check some of the packages.

The Benmiller Inn (near Goderich) is very close to you, and of very high quality. You might want to give them a call.

Another of the "finest" that once impressed me was Merill Inn, in Picton. Not 2 days before our scheduled wine tour we found out that my sweety was having a baby. They revamped everything for us to make a fantastic vacation of it, and we ended up haveing a fantastic time.

I think any of the Inns on the list would work with you to make sure you had the very best time possible.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for romantic Winter Ontario romantic getaway

I have been to Deerhurst and I loved it....got to go free for one night and paid for the other....it is a little on the pricy side but they put rose petals on our bed with a bottle of champagne....do have pictures if you want...

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for romantic Winter Ontario romantic getaway

I have to echo withrespects response....we went up to Collingwood for our 25th last year.....and it is a great place year round, but I think that winter is thier ON season..there are alot of smaller villiages and towns within an hour driving distance....loads to see and do..we rented a cottage for a week and on our first night we heard huge booms , when we looked out the window, the blue mountains where ablaze with fireworks....what a nice start to our vacation!!!!

7. Re: Looking for romantic Winter Ontario romantic getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2010, 00:18