We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

Boston...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

It can be anything. Just looking for things to add to my list.

Thanks!

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

If you like snack food: Lays Ketchup Chips. They're a personal favourite.

If you're old enough to drink, you should try a "caesar" at a bar - if you haven't had one before. Hair of the Dog at Church and Wood Streets in downtown Toronto has the best ones I've had... heads up this area is sometimes known as the "gaybourhood".

Obviously, the beer has a bit more kick than you're used to... just be sure to check with customs as to how much you can bring back duty free if you're going to do so. If you go over, you could end up paying 3 times the original price on duty.

Honestly though, there's not a lot you can't order these days. Just have fun and look for more boutique-type stores if you're loking for clothes. There are lots of local / Canadian designers with innovative ideas. Just beware the one-of-a-kind prices that can go with that.

Above and beyond all that, have fun seeing the sights and experiencing your destination!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

Hi Swurvestar,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUM.

Canada is a HUGE Country (bigger than the USA) so as you can appreciate there will be many regional as well as local items (so this won't just be a stop at a local Grocery Store for example). It would be helpful therefore to know where exactly your visit will take you...

For example, if you are in the Niagara Falls Area... you'll want to visit a Winery in the the Niagara Peninsula to pick up some Award Winning Wine (including Ice Wine which is a Canadian product that excels on the world stage)... you can buy Ice Wine at any LCBO as well (local Ontario Liquor Stores) BUT if you are in Niagara then there will be a lot more choice available (and many would argue that the BEST isn't sold at the LCBO).

So... let us know your route and we'll give you more tips.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Boston...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

Thank you so much!

Yes, I'm old enough to drink, lol.

Back when I was in college 10 yrs ago (yikes!), I made the obligatory trip up to Montreal so we could drink. I had an excellent drink - Swedish Qualude I think it was. I haven't found it anywhere else, so I may search that out on this trip.

I'm going to be in Niagara, Toronto and Kingston. Can't wait to get to Canada! 5 days and counting.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
308 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

Hi Swurvestar: You might be able to get this stateside but our maple syrup is world renowned. Lee Anne

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

Cuban cigars.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

LOL, Oncearound nailed it !!!

Seriously, there's (almost) nothing in Canada that you can't find (usually for cheaper) in the US.

Cheers,

Terry

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

Hi Swurvestar,

Ok, Southern Ontario… well for sure Niagara Wine (and in particular Ice Wine as I already mentioned).

Actually most of the differences that you’ll find in this part of the Province will indeed be food products… so might be worth a visit to a Grocery Store / LCBO / Beer Store, even if just for a look see.

Many Travellers seem to stock up on booze (just be aware that there are Importation Limits that you’ll be subject to when you cross thru Customs back into the USA). Beer seems to be a favourite, as they say our beers have more “kick” than those in the USA… and also you’ll find many brands of Canadian Rye Whiskey that are otherwise unseen in the USA (lol, more than just CC & Crown Royal… although are indeed the best sellers here too).

As already mentioned Maple Syrup, Maple Candy, Maple Butter, etc are BIG items (the area around Kingston is certainly known for maple products – Lanark County – PE County, etc) but they’ll be “out of season” when you’ll be here so might be harder to find… the grocery store will have some and “touristy souvenir” places some also… the latter being more expensive.

Our roots are deeply entwined with those of the UK, so there are food products here that the USA doesn’t see. Particular differences can be found in Candy (Smarties anyone?) – Cookies – Jams & Spreads – and some Snack Foods (as already mentioned flavoured Potato Chips… there are probably a dozen or so flavours beyond just Plain and BBQ).

A website that many Canadians rely on when abroad to get items that are otherwise hard to find (or impossible) is Canada Only, might be worth browsing thru that to see what is unique in your experience.

Canada Only = www.canadaonly.ca

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… US Customs & Border Protection info on US Importation Rules can be found on their Website = www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

Hi Swurvestar,

RE - Swedish Quaalude

Found a recipe for it on-line with Drink Nation.com = www.drinknation.com/drink/swedish-quaalude

Evidently the ingredients are…

2 oz Irish Cream – 1 oz Amaretto – 1 oz Frangelico – 1 oz Kahlua – 1 oz Cream

Serve in a Collins Glass (tall & skinny).

So now you can make it at home… Sounds powerful !!

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

Coffee Crisp Chocolate bars.

raquel

Also a Caesar (variation of a Bloody Mary but with Clamto juice is supposed to be a Canadian thing)

Edited: 21 September 2010, 15:11
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What can I buy in Canada that I can't buy in the US?

TO RAQUEL,

RE – Caesar Cocktail

Truly Canadian. Invented in Calgary Bar in 1969.

Most Americans will give one a funny look if you ask for Clamato Juice… they somehow think it actually tastes fishy. LOL. BUT I’ve noticed of late, that US vacation destinations where Canadians congregate are now starting to carry the product (Myrtle BeachFort LauderdaleKey West, etc).

And more often than not once someone from the USA actually can get by their pre-conceived ideas, they are pleasantly surprised by the taste of a Bloody Caesar (vs a Bloody Mary)… like us they discover that it is not as heavy, and sort of tart in a way that sets up one’s palate nicely before dinner. I’ve had my share of fans (converts?) once I’ve gotten someone to actually try it.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2