We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biting insects

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Biting insects

I have been badly bitten by sandflies in New Zealand so like to know if I am likely to be bothered by similar little crits when I travel.

We'll be in NOTL,then Collingwood,ending up in Toronto late August early September.

If I need repellant will a UK one be ok or do I need something locally bought that will be more effective?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biting insects

That late in the summer the bugs pretty much die down. Depending on the weather - heat, humidity - there may still be mosquitos around in the areas outside of the city, but not as fierce as earlier in summer. Unlikely to encounter in the city. They tend to come out in the early evening, in areas that are heavily treed. Not so much near open water ( beaches, lakeside).

Sorry - I don't know how effective UK bug spray is ... it's easy to pick up small containers here.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 07:59
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biting insects

Thanks phpr, so I am not likely to get my feet and lower legs bitten when out and about during the day.We'd like to do some walks when in the Georgian Bay area and it would be good if we were not bothered by insects.

Early evenings I can cope with by using spray,covering up etc.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biting insects

If you are in forested areas, you may find a few biters ... but unlikely in a beach area. Carry a pocket size bug spray just in case.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biting insects

phpr has covered it all for you. The likleyhood of biting insects will be far less at that time of year as opposed to May and June. If it's cool in the evening you will not have any (65F or less). If it is warm and humid at night you will get some around the Georgian Bay area while walking...especially through forested areas.

During the day you might have some deer flies or horse flies that could bother you. They bite very hard. The windier the better as well. Lots of wind keeps the bugs at bay. I really don't think you'll have much of a problem though.

Here is a good bug spray to buy when you come here. The active ingredient in bug spray is "deet" so look on the label and buy something with 25% deet or higher to be most effective. I find this spray to be quite good.....

…teamsugar.com/files/…DEET.jpg

This is the other bug spray I would recommend. Both of these work great.

https:/…MKL11-596202.jpg

Edited: 03 March 2013, 12:09
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biting insects

Thank you---I shall bring my own spray which has a high Deet content but have made a note of those your recommend if there is a problem with horse flies or similar and I find my spray isn't effective.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biting insects

Hi Mummygoat.....if your brand has lots of deet you will be fine.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biting insects

You should avoid walking through long grass and stay on the paths because there may be tick problems. I have been up at Meaford (30 min west of Collingwood) during that time of year and they have had tick problems.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biting insects

In Canada, the maximum allowed DEET concentration is now 30%. No more 99% Muskol available.

So if your British spray is more than 30%, it's stronger than what is available here.

Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biting insects

Just came from australia and so now know what you mean by sand flies. YIKES! You'll encounter mosquitos and black flies here but they're big enough to see and swat. Stay away from swampy damp areas and you'll mostly be fine.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biting insects

If you do get a lot of bites and they are bothering you, pick up some After Bite from a drug store. Very releaving.