We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing around London, Ontario

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
2 posts
Save Topic
Fishing around London, Ontario

Hi folks,

I am considering a 2 week visiting trip to London, Ontario and would like some advice about the local fishing available.

I am from Dundee,Scotland and mainly into fly fishing for Trout, ( Brown & Rainbow) ,Salmon , Grayling etc. I also do a bit of Pike and Carp fishing too.

I see the river Thames on the map, but little info about the fishing there ?

Any advice, contacts appreciated.

Regards,

John Knight

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

Hi John~

Most fishing is done in the lakes near London but I did find a recent "blog" entry from a fellow who was fishing in the Thames just a few weeks ago. Just scroll part way down the page:

http://www.fishingfury.com/

You can also contact one of the fishing/tackle stores in London for more information too:

http://www.anglingsport.com/

http://www.execulink.com/~newell1/

And here's the information on obtaining a non-resident fishing license....which is absolutely necessary:

mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/fishing/ocnonresopt.html

Maybe someone who actually fishes can help though. :)

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

This is hard to reply to. Here when l go fishing, I head up to the lakes in Muskoka or Haliburton and the streams around Algonquin Park. These are excellent areas for fly fishing. Some people do fish from the banks of the Thames within the city as there are walkways on both sides. But I am not sure there anything in the river much. Fishing other than that is done from boats of the shore of Lake Erie around Port Stanley or Port Glasgow. Lake Erie is a dangerous lake as the winds can turn very quickly, and what was calm minutes ago is quite rough and choppy and dangerous. A lot of people have drowned in that situation. So you would need to find an experienced operator to take you out. Some people fish from the beaches on Lake Huron, but unless you get the heavy surf that isn't that much fun. If you want a fishing holiday you would have to search the net for 'fishing camps in ontario'.

Scotland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

Many thanks to Tobie and Trpld for the fishing info regarding London

Ontario and surrounds. This will be very useful when my wife and i visit our son, who relocated to a new job there recently, with his girlfriend.

Regards from Scotland,

John Wallace Knight.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

My fiance is an avid fly fisherman and fishes the Thames at least once a week. You can fish within the city limits (Arva is a nice area) or the north branch of the Thames, out near Thorndale is good fishing also (if you will have a vehicle while you are here).

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

I think I would agree that north of London, (even in the city limits which now seem to stretch forever) you could fish. I live downstream from London, and the river always seems muddy and uninviting. I failed to recall that upstream and ahead of all the storm drains running into it, the river is good.

6. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 June 2009, 15:34
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

Hi diblysound82;

First, NEVER post your email address on the internet. I would suggest deleting your post. To do that, click on the "Report as Inappropriate" button on the bottom right of your post and then select "Remove my Post".

This is an old post from August 2007 and John has not logged onto TripAdvisor since September 2007.

TO EVERYONE ELSE;

This is an OLD POST from 2007... Therefore no need to reply.

Best Regards

london ontario
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

thank u very much i appriciate the tip

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

You're Welcome !

10. Re: Fishing around London, Ontario

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 02:17