We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

Another thing as only got one entire day do we need to pre-book for any of the activities like maid of the mist and other popular ones or could we just sort the afternoon of the day before? Just don't want to plan too much ahead until we can take in everything

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

Hi fleetwing;

You can NOT pre-book the Maid of the Mist. It operates on a first come - first served basis. That said, each Maid of the MIst boat operating from the Canadian side carries up to 600 passengers with each sailing, so even if you have to wait, the wait won't be very long.

Best Regards

australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

Thanks so much for letting me know that. 600ppl - gosh thats alot!

BTW besides the maid of the mist what else could be achieved in a day. I have three 20 years old on board with me and a husband who still thinks he's 20. Are most activities a come first approach or do you need to book some.

I'm presuming that mid july would be fairly busy?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

All of the Niagara Parks attractions (Journey Behind the Falls, White Water Walk, Niagara's Fury, Whirlpool Aero Car, Butterfly Conservatory) have timed entry. You can buy tickets for any of them at a Welcome Centre where they will help you figure out good times to suit your day. The Adventure Pass includes Maid of the Mist, Journey Behind the Falls, Niagara's Fury, White Water Walk, 2 day People Mover pass and discounts to other attractions.

http://www.niagaraparks.com/

Something your 4-20 yr olds might also like is the Whirlpool Jetboats, which rides through the lower Niagara River rapids. It operates from Niagara on the Lake or from the Aero Car (shuttle service).

http://www.whirlpooljet.com/

Some other possibilities:

Helicopter ride over the Falls - http://www.niagarahelicopters.com/

Indoor skydiving - www.niagarafreefall.com/freefall/index.htm

View from up high - http://www.skylon.com/

australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

Thanks so much for that link. Just a quick question the fireworks. When are they as a schedule was not listed?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

Fireworks are on Fridays and Sundays from May to October, plus Wednesdays in July and August, plus all Canadian and U.S. holidays:

May 30 Memorial Day U.S.)

July 1 Canada Day

July 4 Fourth of July (U.S.)

Aug 1 Civic Holiday

Sept 5 Labour Day

australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

Thanks for that - great we will be there on a Friday. Your information has been fantastic thanks so much. So much looking forward to the trip.

With respect to duty free how does that work? Can we buy at buffalo and take into Niagara as we will be crossing the border....and what about the return? It mentioned that we will need to be 48hours - although we arrive and depart at airport after the 48hours the checkpoint crossing will be inside the 48hours - Is this where the decider will be or airport - can you buy duty free at airport - of course I know I would have to pack in bag for departing back to NY due to cabin restrictions.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

Each person over 19 can bring into Canada one bottle of liquor or wine, or one case of beer. It doesn't matter where you buy it, but the duty free shops at the border crossing bridges are pretty good.

Returning to the U.S. is very different. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that the rules regarding time away and dollar amount would apply only to U.S. citizens/ residents. Since nothing you purchase in Canada will be staying in the U.S., you shouldn't have to pay any duty or taxes at the border (again, not 100% on this). What would make a difference, however, is whatever limits you have, regarding dollar amount, liquor, etc. when you return to Austrailia.

These sites may help:

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/…s2x3

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

My understanding of the rules are that any items bought at a duty-free technically must be consumed in the country you are crossing into at that time...I say this because I was scolded by a border agent because I purchased a case of cigars on the Canadian side when crossing into the States-when I returned back into Canada four weeks later with some of said cigars I was told that was against the rules-I pleaded ignorance and was allowed through with them. I imagine same rules apply to alcohol.

And your 48 hours is timed at the crossing NOT the airport!

Just FYI.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

But does the 48 hours apply to non U.S. residents who will be returning to another country?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sorry my computer keeps stuffing up

Good point-can't help there