We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed bugs

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bed bugs

Bed bugs ”

Sep 10, 2011, 4:40 PM

We are thinking of going to Niagara Falls Canada and staying at one of the hotels near the falls. However I have read several comments indicating there is a bed bug problem. I realize there was an issue last year but I am curious if this problem persists.

An update would be greatly

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed bugs

Hi BillC,

Welcome to the NIAGARA FALLS TRAVEL FORUM

And I see you are also a fairly NEW Member of TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

BED BUGS

Generally speaking, there is a lot of misunderstanding about these little “buggers”

When it comes to these little critters they can truly be anywhere… if you use GOOGLE you’ll see that NO Hotel is immune. Bedbugs are just as comfy at a 5 Star Hotel as they are in a University Dorm, Hostel, Apartment Building, Cruise Ship, Department Store, on Public Transit or at a Movie Theatre… this is because the are parasitic insects that hitch a ride on people and their belongings.

Bedbugs truly have NOTHING to do with how new, high ranking, or how clean a building is. They are a parasitic insect… carried from place to place primarily by humans (pets or on personal items)… So in the Hotel and Accommodations Industry... mostly by Guests.

So at some point in time ALL Hotels (even the 5 Star Places) will have at least one room with a Bedbug problem… it is just part of the industry.

With over 15,000 Rooms in Niagara Falls... and MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of Tourists annually... bedbugs are a just a fact of life.

The secret is in how a Hotel manages / controls it (both for a Hotel… and for you the Guest)… to ensure that an isolated situation (one room) doesn’t become a full-blown infestation.

AND one very important key in that process are Travellers themselves… IF you ever do unfortunately become the meal of a bedbug you should clearly let Hotel Management know that… for not only will they probably remedy your poor stay… BUT then they are fully aware of which room has an issue… that otherwise untreated could grow into a major concern. So reporting is the best thing… NOT keeping quiet about the problem !!

Two excellent sources of info on this Topic that are often referenced here in the CANADA TRAVEL FORUMS include…

Reader’s Digest’s article entitled *Don’t Let the Bedbugs Bite* = readersdigest.ca/health/healthy-living/don-t…

And Cornell Unversity’s (Bedbug Detection Cards) = …cornell.edu/publications/bed_bugs/files/bb_…

Along with this comprehensive article... also from Cornell

Cornell University (Bedbug Info) = …cornell.edu/publications/bb_guidelines/

Oh ya… and the # 1 way to protect your belongings & home from Bedbugs… is DON’T ever put your suitcase on a bed, an upholstered piece of furniture or the floor in a Hotel Room (use the provided luggage rack)… and when you do get home, unpack in the garage, and launder everything before putting it back in your closets (things that cannot be laundered in HOT Water... should either be put into a HOT Dryer, or placed in a zip lock bag and stuck in the FREEZER) Bedbugs (and their eggs)... cannot survive HOT Water... HIGH HEAT, or COLD Temps.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 10 September 2011, 19:50
Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed bugs

Thanks for your insight, greatly appreciated

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed bugs

Reminds me of the story :-):

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts: "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised my friend I would meet him half an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below says: "Yes. You are in a hot air balloon, hovering approximately 30 feet above this field. You are between 40 and 42 degrees N. latitude, and between 58 and 60 degrees W. longitude."

"You must be an engineer," says the balloonist.

"I am," replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 00:08
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed bugs

TO GXP,

I'll give you this... it is a funny story.

BUT truly doesn't relate to the subject at hand... Bedbugs.

As I said, one hotel room with a problem... when taken within the context of a Hotel will many rooms... doesn't necessarily spell an infestation.

The Traveller seemed to imply with their OP (Original Post) that there was a major problem IN NIAGARA FALLS... I was pointing out... that probably no more so than any other city... just that it probably gets a lot more press (a) because there are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of Travellers, and (b) folks will post something on-line with a sweeping statement implying that an entire hotel has a problem (vs just a room or two... which is more the case)... and (c) as I said.. there is no point posting this info on-line when the best action is to bring the situation to the attention of the Hotel so they can take appropriate action.

You can't fight the enemy... if you haven't a clue where he is (aha... now we have something... that might relate to your intriguing balloonist story)

;-) *wink*

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 11 September 2011, 01:42
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed bugs

Hi Bill C,

You are very welcome... glad to help.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

6. Re: Bed bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 21:18