We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grandchildren 12 and 14

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
52 reviews
Grandchildren 12 and 14

Thinking about visiting Toronto and Niagara Falls with our son, daughter in law and two teenage grandchildren in mid to late August . Would this area be a good place to stay for a couple of nights?

16 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,056 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

Hi Susan;

First - Niagara Falls & Niagara-on-the-Lake are TWO separate and distinct locations.

Niagara on the Lake is a small heritage community focused on high-end restaurants, boutique shops, spas, live theatre, and local wineries.

I would suggest a full 24 hours for Niagara Falls...longer is you plan to visit the surrounding wine region.

You could spend an entire week in Toronto and still have plenty to see & do !

As for your grand-children...

Border services officers are on alert for children who need protection.

If you are travelling with minors, you must carry proper identification for each child such as a birth certificate, passport, citizenship card, permanent resident card or Certificate of Indian Status.

If you are divorced or separated, you should carry with you copies of the legal custody agreements for your children. If you are travelling with minors and you are not their parent/guardian, you should have written permission from the parent/guardian authorizing the trip. The letter should include addresses and telephone numbers of where the parents or guardian can be reached and identify a person who can confirm that the children are not being abducted or taken against their will.

Sample Letters from Foreign Affairs Canada;

voyage.gc.ca/preparation_information/consent…

While it is not a requirement, I would suggest having the letters notarized.

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border, by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

Best Regards

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,100 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

Toronto and Niagara Falls are two distinct areas, they are 120 km apart. It takes 90 minutes to 2 hours to travel between them depending on the time if day and the traffic conditions.

Are you flying into Toronto? Or driving across the border?

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,056 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

If flying to Canada, all of you will require passports.

Best Regards

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

We are flying into Toronto and plan to spend the night of our arrival in the city. We will rent a car and drive to Niagara Falls and I think all of us would enjoy spending an overnight at the Falls. I was looking at your town as a place to spend a night as traveling back to Toronto for another overnight before flying home. Total of four nights will most likely suit us all. I appreciate your assistance.

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,056 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

You're Welcome !

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

Given you are posting in the Niagara on the Lake forum I am assuming you are thinking of staying at Niagara on the lake for a couple of nights? NOTL is a quiet historic town with great restaurants, wineries and world class live theatre. Check out the Shaw Festival. Personally I prefer staying in NOTL but maybe your grandkids would enjoy Niagara Falls touristy and somewhat carny atmosphere. There is an amusement park area with kitschy fun houses and wax museum and rides plus all the action around the Falls. You can always spend a bit of time in NOTL on the way back to Toronto.

Paradise, Canada
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

If you're grand kids like anything Christmas they might enjoy the Christmas shop in NOTL. The name escapes me at 5:36 a.m. From the outside the size of the shop is deceiving. It is a HUGE shop filled with a multitude of ornaments and all things Christmassy. I literally spent hours and a small fortune in there.

toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

You should stay in Toronto and just catch one of the tour buses for a day trip to Niagara Falls. It basically only takes a day to do the tourist attractions there. Downtown Toronto has way more to do.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,841 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

Not sure it makes sense to unpack & pack up again for one night. Pick one or the other to stay for the two nights. As noted, the two communities are quite different... maybe let the grandkids do a bit of research and decide which they prefer ... always good to start kids off on travel planning early. While NOTL tends to appeal to a more adult audience, there are still things to do there for young people - Fort George, window shopping, ghost walks, etc. Even take in a play at the Shaw festival - they have a few plays on that appeal for younger audiences.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 08:24
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
52 reviews
10. Re: Grandchildren 12 and 14

Thanks so much .

I wonder if it would be possible for us to rent a cottage in an area between the city of Toronto and Niagara Falls.

Is there a good halfway town?

Reply to: Grandchildren 12 and 14
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake