We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding venue ideas

Louisville, Ky
1 post
Wedding venue ideas

My Fiance and I are considering on having our wedding in Niagara on the lake in the spring of 2008, any suggestions on a venue, upscale yet casual and romantic? I'm thinking a garden or vineyard theme. I've got my eye on the grand victorian or vineland vineyard, and love the way the lakeview B&B looks although I'm not sure if they will hold weddings there, any feedback would be much appreciated as we're from out of town and our time will be limited to look around once we get into town next month!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Wedding venue ideas

Hello, and welcome to the forum~

There have been some recent posts here about The Grand Victorian for a wedding venue.....the reviews have not been very good, but you could certainly have a look while you are visiting.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154999-d621322…

I'd very carefully read the reviews for properties you might be interested in, and contact the inn/B&B directly before your visit to see if they might accomodate you. Generally some of the smaller inns have a limit of about 150 for guests, and a B&B more in the 50-60 person range----if they host weddings at all.

We have not attended a wedding in Niagara on the Lake, but have been at Vineland Estates Winery when one was going on, and it looked lovely. We've dined there a few times, and it's always been outstanding.

A wonderful inn that overlooks both vineyards and the Niagara Parkway is the Riverbend Inn. They have a small but lovely dining room and we have stayed there a few times. The rooms, dining, and service have always been extremely good. For a wedding, white canopied tents are set up on the front lawns. We've seen it set up for their "Peach Luncheon" in August, and it's quite lovely. They are located right next to Peller Estates Winery. Have a look at their website:

http://www.riverbendinn.ca/

As for other wineries, Peninsula Ridge comes to mind. A beautiful setting and fabulous dining. Angel's Gate Winery has photos of weddings on their site, and it's another lovely setting. The service and dining for lunch there was very nice. They are both found on this site:

http://20valley.ca

Also in the Twenty Valley area is Inn on the Twenty which is a very romantic spot in the village of Jordan. Their photos and description of wedding venues sounds very nice, and we've enjoyed their gourmet dining several times....always impeccable service when we've stayed there too. It's associated with Cave Spring Winery, with a boutique winery store next to On the Twenty restaurant.

Being able to organize a tasting for guests is always a lovely idea too. Some of your decision will depend on your dates and the weather of course.....this year we have had very cool weather for May (and more to come)----but you already know how unpredictable spring weather can be here if you're Canadian. ;)

Having a garden or vineyard theme sounds wonderful, and I hope you find the absolutely perfect venue for your wedding.

Congratulations!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Wedding venue ideas

Here's the other thread about the Grand Victorian with someone from out of the area too~

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154999-i270-k1209…

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
200 reviews
3. Re: Wedding venue ideas

I'd certainly second the suggestion of the Riverbend. Tobie, I think you talked someone into having their wedding there last year; do we have a thread to that?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
4. Re: Wedding venue ideas

The Riverbend wedding recap is tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154999-i270-k7422… (and in that post, click on GirlfromTO's name for the original suggestion threads).

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Wedding venue ideas

Thanks for that CP and Matt.

Riverbend would definitely be at the top of my list for a celebration of any kind..... :)

USA
2 posts
6. Re: Wedding venue ideas

My dear fellow travelers,

Sorry to interrupt the enthusiasm expressed in previous posts regarding the Riverbend in Niagara on the Lake...I'd like to share the skeptic's view. I presume the happy couple would prefer to know as much as possible before making the incredibly important decision of where to host their wedding.

Unfortunately, it appears that the Riverbend has managed to disappoint at least one wedding party to a rather significant degree. I recommend that you check out the blog at

riverbendinnniagaraonthelake.blogspot.com

(www.riverbendinnniagaraonthelake.blogspot.com)

Best of luck with your deliberations...let me know what you think!

USA
2 posts
7. Re: Wedding venue ideas

...a few other thoughts, continuing my prior post on the subject. I guess I really feel the couple should tread carefully on that property.

What struck me first: the extent to which the Riverbend disappointed: the bethrothed "will never return" to the Riverbend.

I won't go on and on, but would encourage a quick visit to the <a href="riverbendinnniagaraonthelake.blogspot.com/">Review of Riverbend Inn</a> in Niagara on the Lake...to see for yourself.

Respectfully,

HYC

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
8. Re: Wedding venue ideas

HappyYetCandid, is that your blog? Self-promotion isn't permitted in TripAdvisor forum postings. And it's odd that you just wandered by to weigh in on this topic, and only this topic, if you don't have first-hand experience.

The funny thing about the blog is that it uses several cheap tricks to try to boost its search rankings (and HYC's post won't hurt that effort). Either someone is so unsatisified that they're pulling out all the stops to get the word out, or it's a professional attempt to disparage this hotel's reputation.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: Wedding venue ideas

I would have to agree with Matt~ submitting vague generalizations both here and on several wedding blogs provides little information for anyone trying to find a wedding venue.

Here is a recent Recommendation by Conde Nast:

<<Jan 31, 2007: Riverbend Inn and Vineyard receives exclusive Conde Nast Johansen recommendation

Niagara-on-the-Lake - The Riverbend Inn and Vineyard was chosen as one of only 3 properties in Ontario and 14 in Canada to be recommended in the exclusive Conde Nast Johansens Travel magazine, distributed world wide.

The Riverbend Inn and Vineyard on the Niagara River Parkway in Niagara-on-the-Lake, originally a Georgian-style mansion was converted in 2003 to a 21-room Inn with exquisite guest rooms thematically decorated in rich warm colours from an authentic Georgian palette. The Inn sits on a 17-acre vineyard that fills the corner of John Street and the Niagara River Parkway.

Twelve of the 17 acres consists of a perfectly manicured vineyard with chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, merlot, sauvignon blanc and vidal (for Icewine) grape vines planted and managed by Reif Estate Winery.

In 2006, Riverbend released their first proprietary wine of the Inn, the Riverbend 2005 Chardonnay Reserve (60 cases) and Riverbend 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve (200 cases) and also opened handsome corporate facilities in the Coach House, adjacent the Inn.

Conde Nast Johansens is the most comprehensive and exclusive illustrated reference to independently owned accommodation and meeting venues throughout Great Britain, Continental Europe, the Mediterranean, the Americas, Atlantic, Caribbean and Pacific.

More than 50 dedicated Regional Inspectors visit thousands of hotels, country houses, inns, resorts and spas throughout the world to select only the very best. In the 2007 edition, 310 recommendations complete the full colour guide, all chosen for as much for their excellence of service and cuisine as for their unique style, diverse character and exceptional location.

The Riverbend Inn and Vineyard adds the Conde Nast Johansens recommendation to their prestigious status of Four Diamond CAA/AAA rating. In a cool climate region such as Niagara, these are two sizzling accolades.

For more information about this beautiful country Inn visit www.riverbendinn.ca>>

NM
1 post
10. Re: Wedding venue ideas

Hey now, take it easy there. I'm another reader who "happened upon" this thread, which last time I checked was a public forum on a website ready by thousands of travel enthusiasts daily.

Toby and mattInTO, you are obviously committed contributors on this site, so I mean no disrespect, but your dismissal of HYCs input seems a bit rash. Aside from HYC's posts, you guys have contributed 6 of the 7 entries on this thread. If I was the couple asking for help, I'd be eager to cast a wider net for information, eager to get a sample larger than 2 boosters, one of whom "talked someone into having their wedding at the Riverbend...."

Like HYC said, if I was the lucky couple, I'd appreciate a range of input from a range of sources. And I'd want to know how consistently the property had satisfied all its guests, not just a couple or three of them

My 2c,

One of many readers stumbling on this little neck of the woods ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake