We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any beaches near the lake

Cymru
Level Contributor
59 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
any beaches near the lake

Visiting in August and staying near the lake,can anyone reccommend a beach suitable for our 2 grandchildren aged 5 and 2,any other trip advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

1. Re: any beaches near the lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 March 2012, 13:34
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any beaches near the lake

Hello. The Niagara Region has many fine beaches to choose from.

The closest beach that I would recommend, having two young grandchildren, is Lakeside Park in St. Catharines/Port Dalhousie. There is 1,500 feet of sandy beach with a shallow entry that is suitable for young children.

Lakeside Park offers other attractions for youngsters such as playgrounds, concessions and the vintage 1950's merry-go-round that still only charges a nickel! The grandkids will love that. For the adults there are many shops & boutiques to browse as well as a wide assortment of restaurants, ice cream parlours, pizza joints, etc... Park your car and everything is less than a 5 minute walk away.

It's a great place for young and old alike with lots to do. You can also bring a cooler and have a cook-out on the bbq. This beach is approx. 25 minutes north of NOTL. Take the QEW north to the Ontario St exit in St. Catharines. Take Ontario Street to Lakeport Rd, make a left, and follow Lakeport until it ends at the beach.

However, if you want the Florida feel, both Sherkston and Crystal Beaches on Lake Erie will provide that. The beaches on Lake Erie are excellent and are also very suitable for young children. The beach is lovely with a huge expansive sandy beach that is a few miles long. The water is shallow at the waters edge with a gradual slope that's excellent for wading. The drive to these would be a little longer...perhaps about 40-45 minutes. Here you'd probably want to bring a cooler, sandwiches, blankets and camp out for the afternoon. These are located south of NOTL taking the QEW towards Ft. Erie/Buffalo.

The link below has an excellent selection from over 25 beaches within the Niagara Region.

waterkeeper.ca/2011/…

Cymru
Level Contributor
59 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any beaches near the lake

That is tremendously helpful,one of the best replies I have seen here, thank you very much for taking the time.

The children love the water, this will help immensely.

Really looking forward to our visit.

Diolch yn fawr. (thank you very much in Welsh)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any beaches near the lake

You are very welcome. Lakeside Park is recognized as a historic site. It captures the feel of a by-gone era. It's quite a nice place. I forgot to mention there is also long pier to walk on with a lighthouse at the end. People fish off the pier so if the kids like fishing bring a pole or just have a look to see if anyone is catching anything. On a nice day you can also clearly see the lovely Toronto Skyline from the beach.

The other beaches on Lake Erie are also very nice but I would say there is probably more to entertain the young ones at Lakeside Park beach. You'll have a nice time wherever you decide to go I'm sure . I hope you enjoy your stay.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any beaches near the lake

Keep an eye on the weather though. If ther has been a recent rainstorm, the water at Lakeshore park may not be fit for swimming. The municipality carries out frequent tests and will post warnings if there is a problem.

You could also follow the Niagara Parkway to Fort Erie to beaches on Lake Erie. Lake Erie is much warmer than Lake Ontario, and has sand beaches. There used to be a "Baby hole" for small children on the river right in Fort Erie at the Parkway and Queen Street but I'm not sure if it is still open for swimming. There is a park there. For Fort Erie Beaches, check

forterie.ca/WebSite/…

The Carousel in Lakeshore Park in St. Catharines is great though.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 23:57
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any beaches near the lake

Port dalhousie will most likely already be in the process of being demolished by August with construction starting on the new Port Place condo's. I dont think l would go anywhere near it anytime soon. Not much will be kept except the old jailhouse from what they are saying, and even the jailhouse is going to be picked up and moved over by the carousel. So sho knows if the carousel will even be running during construction. I would head to sherkston shores. They have a little bit of everything for kids. You have to pay to get in but its worth it. Pitch a tent and stay a couple of nights.

www.sherkston.com

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any beaches near the lake

The construction in Port Dalhousie will not be in the park and should have minor impact, if any on the beach, park and carousel.

There is not much happening now and not sure when the work will start. They will want to pre-sell a number of units before they start to build.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any beaches near the lake

From what l have heard they have to sell somewhere around 70% of the units before digging, but on the news last night it is slated to start this summer. Shame!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any beaches near the lake

Damn shame. Port was the nicest thing about St. Catharines. Now condos. Damn shame.

10. Re: any beaches near the lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:42
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake