We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental at GO Station

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
76 reviews
38 helpful votes
Car Rental at GO Station
Save

Is there a car rental place near this GO Station?

I want to go out to Pontypool from Toronto and see the GO Train is way faster than driving the whole way. I’m finding the google answers really misleading.

4 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
34,381 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Car Rental at GO Station
Save

The closest would be Enterprise on Bloor. They would likely pick you up at the station if you advise which train you'll be on.

https://goo.gl/maps/HLMniAXfoAv

Edited: 3 years ago
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
43 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: Car Rental at GO Station
Save

So Google maps says its 67 mins drive time from downtown Toronto to Pontypool. Thats not that long though I guess you should factor in the time of day you will be driving etc. Anything outside of normal rush hours you should be ok going east bound and then ok going west bound.

Any time savings you might make taking the train to Oshawa will then be eaten up by having to get the rental agency either at the end of your trip to drop off the car or picking it up.

Pontypool is a pretty easy drive from TO. Just take the 401 eastbound to the 35/115 Hy and then north to Hy 35 etc. Very straight forward and the cost of a car rental for the day will probably be the same as trying to take the Go trains. Also, having a car at your disposal for the whole day will mean you wont have to time your trip to get back to Oshawa to catch a train back into the city.

I would opt for a car rental for a whole day from Toronto. Any time savings would be negligible by taking the train.

Edited: 3 years ago
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
34,381 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
3. Re: Car Rental at GO Station
Save

Lucywestie is absolutely correct - you won't save any time by taking the GO train. You will however avoid having to drive in the city and/or on the DVP & 401 out of the city. If the latter is a concern for you, if you are unaccustomed to or uncomfortable driving in heavy traffic, then the GO/rental car option would work. As noted, the time of day you are driving should be taken into consideration and the weather conditions (you don't say when you are coming). But as he notes, it's a pretty straight-forward drive ... I do part of that regularly and although it can be frustrating at certain times of the day, it's very easy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
152 reviews
90 helpful votes
4. Re: Car Rental at GO Station
Save

Unless you hit afternoon traffic, and potentially even if you do, it'll still be faster and easier to just drive.

Reply to: Car Rental at GO Station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oshawa
More Oshawa Topics
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.