We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ottawa to niagra falls

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
ottawa to niagra falls

HI,

Is it possible to get to Niagra falls by public transport from Ottawa? Ifso how would i do this,cost etc, and how long does it take?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,466 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

Both Viarail and Greyhound bus serve that route, but both involve transfers in Toronto and are 8-9 hour trips. The train is about $150 and the bus is $95.

http://www.greyhound.ca/en/

http://www.viarail.ca/en_index.html

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
929 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

You could also try Porter Air, which has a number of daily flights (starting as low as $59.00 plus taxes) from Ottawa to Toronto Island. There is a free shuttle that will take you to the train station, where you can either board a train, or take a cab to the bus terminal to continue your journey.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

Thanks for your help. I was hoping i may be able to visit Niagara in one day. Ahh Well thanks again for your advice

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

The distance from Ottawa to Niagara Falls is approximately the same distance as it is from London to Edinburg. You can drive it basically all the way on motorway, but top speed is 60 miles an hour. Ontario is a very large province. The entire UK will fit into the southern quarter of the province.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

>>>The distance from Ottawa to Niagara Falls is approximately the same distance as it is from London to Edinburg.<<<

That may be true, but Edinburgh CAN be done as daytrip from London since the trains are faster and run more frequently than twice daily.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

hi, porter air flight from toronto to ottowa is less then an hour, but the ticket price per person for my flight is 80 dollar per person, how long does it take train to get from toronto to ottawa?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

also, if im in canda and im US citizen do I need a us passport to fly within canada?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

The train from Toronto takes four to four and a half hours. See viarail.ca for schedules.

Both Porter Airlines and the train leave from downtown Toronto. Neither arrives in downtown Ottawa; it's a bit easier to get downtown from the train station, but neither is terribly hard.

And no, to fly within Canada you need only government-issued photo ID (e.g. a driver's license). The passport rules are entirely an American government thing.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

what is the fastest way to get from niagara falls, ontario to the ottawa river, im on a short trip and wanted to get two days in at ottawa river but dunno if its possible.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,466 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ottawa to niagra falls

You have a few options:

1. Rent a car and drive. 6-7hrs each way.

2. Train 8-9hrs each way

3. Bus 8hrs each way

4. Train or bus to Toronto. Taxi to Downtown Airport. Porter Air to Ottawa. Taxi or shuttle to downtown. 6-7hrs total (due to train/bus/plane timing)

5. Enterprise Transporter 30sec. (if only:-)

I'd leave the rafting for another trip.