We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest bus to Toronto

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest bus to Toronto

Hey guys, anyone knows which company offers the cheapest one way bus to Toronto? I checked greyhound and it costs $47.25! Kinda ex.

Megabus does not service the route, so can anyone propose other companies? Even coach canada does not do this route!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,127 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest bus to Toronto

Hi flying_Geo;

Those are your choices...no other bus companies. Have you looked at the train ? www.viarail.ca

FYI...Toronto is approx. 281 miles / 452 km from Ottawa.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest bus to Toronto

The bus is the cheapest way, and given the distance I'm afraid you can't expect it to be much cheaper than that.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest bus to Toronto

i guess its coz greyhound has the monopoly to toronto so it's kinda ex.

for eg, montreal-toronto can be had for just $18!

ok, will make do with it. train's too expensive

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest bus to Toronto

Hi Flying-Geo,

Sorry, we don't have better news... BUT it comes down to supply and demand... Toronto is Canada's biggest city (pop = 5.1 Million and as part of the Golden Horseshoe = 8.1 Million) and Montreal # 2 (Metro = 3.6 Million)... which combined is more than 37% of the total population of Canada... and they are interconnected in a straight line via Hwy 401.

Ottawa Metro has a population of about 1 Million (City only about 800 K) and of course we are about an hour north of the 401, so that puts us considerably away from Ontario's major east-west corridor.

I can tell you that the Greyhound sucks! The drive between Ottawa and Toronto takes usually 4-1/2 Hours... on the bus a misable 6 or more (it doesn't take the Expressways, it toodles along on Hwy 7 and stops at every small town on route... here in Canada what we call a "milk-run").

The train takes a more direct route, and makes the trip in about 4-1/2 Hours. It does cost more, but is far more comfortable (offers wifi and a food cart). Most folks try to book the train well in advance so as to take advantage of the lower fares that are offered (Via Rail runs like a plane... the earlier you purchase the less you pay... the highest fares are same day walk-ups). Also they have a bit of an additional discount if you are Under 25, a Student (need an ISIC card) or a Senior. They also have occasional specials & seat sales (check their website... example Buy One Ticket - Get a Companion for Half-Price).

Hope this has been helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest bus to Toronto

i checked...time savings by train = 35mins, but cost savings by bus = 25.20

i think i will take the greyhound bus

thanks, though!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest bus to Toronto

Yep, it looks like they've eliminated most of the milk runs. Except for a daily 6-hour bus that stops everywhere along Highway 7, most of the bus trips are about 5 hours with no stops between the Ottawa and Toronto areas (or just a couple stops in cities along the 401).

Megabus uses double-deckers for the Toronto-Montreal run; that may have helped them cut costs (more passengers per driver).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest bus to Toronto

Guess, I should have been more STRESSFUL in my statements...

<< I can tell you that Greyhound sucks! >>

Greyhound is notorious for having problems on the route from Toronto to Ottawa (and vice versa).

Many buses that are supposed to be "expess" end up going the milk-run route... many Users regularly say that the fact that they advertise an Express Bus is a joke.

Posted times seem to mean little to Greyhound (and it has been this way for years) my kids used to come home from University etc. via Greyhound because it was cheap. They would call us via their cell-phones when they were within say 30 minutes of Ottawa... so we'd know when to show up at the Bus Station (buses were always super late... 1 hour or more was not uncommon).

Kids paid their own way home... as stated Greyhound is cheap... in exchange we sent them back to Toronto on the train because (the schedule was better for us on Sundays - nobody had to wait for a "no show" bus - the kids loved it better than a cold bus on an uncertain milk-run - and oh ya, most importantly... Mom & Dad were paying, lol).

I did a GOOGLE... and it looks like things haven't changed much... see this link to Reviews of Greyhound on YELP = http://www.yelp.ca/biz/greyhound-toronto

In particular check out the last entry from a Kanata Traveller dated October 2009 (Kanata is an Ottawa Suburb).

Via Rail has a webpage dedicated to Fare Sales = www.viarail.ca/en/fares/deals.

and

Via Express Deals = www2.viarail.ca/expressdeals/

It is my understanding that the Express Deals go up every Wednesday... for travel within the next 7 Days... and when all the tickets are gone for a particular destination, it is removed from the listing (hence why you'll not see any entries for Ottawa on this link today - Wednesay, February 10th at 7:00 PM EST... THEY ARE LONG GONE). Evidently one-way fares can be got for as about half-price (ie $ 35).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 10 February 2010, 19:02
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest bus to Toronto

My daughter makes the bus trip from Ottawa to Niagara Falls (thru Toronto) quite often, and has never had any delays or problems. Her favourite is the overnight, leaving around midnight, and getting into Toronto before the bus terminal is even open.

9. Re: Cheapest bus to Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 02:16