We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ottawa in April

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ottawa in April

Hi,

Planning a last minute trip to Ottawa tomorrow for 2 days.

I am travelling with my 10 yr old son.

Want to do the mint mainly. may be do a parliament tour..

Other than that, what else can I do? Is the canal/river cruise open at this time of the year. Anything else that will be interesting for a 10 yr old?

Please advise..

Thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ottawa in April

Another thing i am thinking of is Aviation museum. is this good?

Also, is it worth going to byward market this time of the year?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,640 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ottawa in April

Personally, and speaking as an adult and not a 10 yr old boy (LOL), I find the Aviation museum to be somewhat dated - it could do with a refresh.

The Museum of Civilization , just across the river in Hull, is a wonderful place, with exhibits that appeal to both young and old. Also the Museum of Nature has had a reno/update in the last few years. Also the Canadian War Museum is a wonderful place, with tanks and other gear.

The Byward market is interesting all year I find, but most of it is outside.

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ottawa in April

Thanks phpr. Will take a look at the war museum. we have been to The Museum of Civilization during our last trip there.. Not sure if we visited the Museum of nature then...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ottawa in April

Agree with phpr, the Canadian War Museum is great. Most boys love to see military types of things, so your son would probably really enjoy it.

I was also going to recommend the Museum of Civilization, but since you siad you have already went to it I guess that's off the list.

However, a side trip to Byward market would be worthwhile IMO. I go there often as I travel to Ottawa a lot on business, and I enjoy it. It is mostly outdoors, however the weather in Ottawa is pleasant right now so that shouldn't be an issue. Plus there are lots of great places to eat around there. Have a fun trip.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ottawa in April

Hello,

Going to the mint can be fun, just know that it may not be as exciting to actually tour on a weekend as there won't be people running the machines.

The Parliament Tour is nice. You get to take an elevator up to the top of the Peace Tower and get a look at the city from above.

I haven't been to the Museum of Nature since they've remodelled but I hear it is interesting. My favorite museum for kids is the Science and Technology Museum on St. Laurant. It's a little far from downtown, but there are large train engines, interactive displays, a crooked kitchen, and live shows.

A bit further south on Bank St. is Little Ray's Reptile Zoo and about an hour into Quebec is Parc Omega, a small drive-through safari type park.

There are also a lot of green spaces around. The Gatineau Hills are a short drive away and there are waterfront parks all along the river and canal.

Hope you have a nice trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ottawa in April

Parliament hill would be my vote if he hasn't seen it before, you can check out the Byward Market right after which is right next door (pretty much).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ottawa in April

The Byward Market is restaurant, restaurant, restaurant and some stands with veggies and flowers when in season. And some shopping. Our son was not a fan at 10 years old;but depends on the child of course. Here's another fun option to consider:

http://www.hauntedwalk.com/ottawatours.php

Enjoy your weekend, the forecast looks good.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 18:25
Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ottawa in April

Thanks all for your suggestions.

BTW, Byward was for me; not for my son :-)

Edited: 05 April 2012, 19:32
Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ottawa in April

Can you please let me know how the currency museum is. he is into coin and currency colection.. So thought he may like it..

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ottawa in April

Have not been....maybe we are missing a hidden treasure?

I think the Mint will interest him. Hold a million dollars in your hands is a fun experience for all. The mint tour/exhibit shows how the designers develop a coin and also has info/examples of "old" coins.

Get answers to your questions about Ottawa
Recent Conversations