We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Ottawa best route.

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto to Ottawa best route.

Hi i am ddriving from super 8 downtown motel toronto to ottawa alber at bay hotel on the 15 oct. Need some help with the best route to follow pls.

i am aware that it is at least 6 hrs drive by expressway but is there a more scenic drive if i add one hour to the drive? pls help. i will be staying in ottawa for 2 nights.

Thanks so much for any advice.

regds

ysh

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

You can take 1000 islands parkway, it's a nice drive for about 50-60kms around Kingston...

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

In your other post on this topic you reference a few options for this trip.

As noted, you can take Hwy 2 along Lake Ontario for part of the trip and join up with 401 and at any time. the 1000 Islands Parkway is accessed from either the 401 or Hwy 2. Personally I find the Parkway quite boring, but it is pretty for first timers. Or you can take Hwy 15 up from Kingston to Hwy 7. The Hwy 15 route is scenic till about Smiths Falls and then is rather flat and boring.

Any of these routes will have both scenic and unscenic. It really depends on what you want to see and how much time you want to spend on the road.

If you take Hwy 2 from Port Hope and along it is called the Apple Route:

http://www.appleroute.com/

You can also meet up with the Loyalist Parkway at Belleville which takes you through to Kingston:

http://www.loyalistparkway.org/

Edited: 06 July 2012, 07:33
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

As context, for much of the journey between Toronto and Ottawa, you will be travelling through a geological region known as the Great Lakes - St Lawrence Lowlands. As the name suggests, flat, not very interesting. Immediately to the north is the Canadian Shield, rocky, hilly, lightly populated, forested area, lots of lakes. Highway 7 mentioned above travels through this area, which you might find more interesting. Highway 7 is largely a two lane road (one lane in each direction), fairly windy and up and down. With slow moving vehicles passing can be difficult.

After leaving Toronto on the 401, there are many opportunities to get up on to 7 - hwy 115 from Bownanville up to Peterborough, hwy 45 from Cobourg up to Norwood, Hwy 62 from Belleville to Madoc, hwy 37 from Belleville to Tweed, hwy 41 from Napanee, hwy 15 mentioned above. Depends how much hwy 7 you want. I've often used the 37 Belleville - Tweed connector.

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

Thank you so much tdsuperstar,phpr amd ronw for all your suggestions. i will have a look at the map i have and then plot it on google and see how much time i need to travel using al the routes mention.

thanks again for your help.

regds

ysh

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

Highway 7 has its nice points but I have to disagree about the other route being not very interesting. I can think of many things that would make nice detour stops on a trip between Toronto and Ottawa.

- Sandbanks Provincial Park, Lake on the Mountain Provincial Park, and the free Glenora ferry in Prince Edward County.

- Historical buildings, including a fort, in downtown Kingston on the shore of Lake Ontario.

- 1000 Islands region with river cruises, a parkway, and the 1000 Islands Skydeck.

- The Rideau Heritage Route (rideauheritageroute.ca/en/…DrivingTours.asp) travels along the UNESCO World Heritage Rideau Canal Waterway.

- The Frontenac Arch is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve and there are many great hiking trails throughout the region (some of which are quite hilly): explorethearch.ca/hike-the-arch/hiking-trails

Are you still travelling earyly October? Check out the Fall Colours Report the morning you're driving to see which regions are showing nice colourful leaves:

http://www.parkreports.com/fall/

Edited: 06 July 2012, 13:12
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

You're welcome!

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

Thanks so much for your reply IRishHOneyMoo. I am travelling input but it will be 15 oct when I drive from Toronto to Ottawa. However I will check out all the routes you mention and will also check out the colours nearer the time. Thanks formyourmgood suggestions of checking out the colours. That will be the deciding point on which route I will take.

Thanks so much.

Regds ysh

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

I usully enjoy the Highway #7 route from Peterborough. Take Hwy 401 east from Toronto to Hwy 35/115. Take 115 to Peterborough and then Hwy #7 from Peterborough to Ottawa. This would be about 6 hours driving time.

A more scenic drive would be Hwy 400 north from Toronto to Hwy #11 to Huntsville, then east on #60 through Algonquin Park to #417 to Ottawa. This would be about 7-8 hoursdriving time though.

Algonquin Park is a huge wilderness park.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/

Edited: 06 July 2012, 16:33
ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

Thanks gxp i think i will follow the highway 7 route which is 6 hrs. thanks for calculating the driving time for me . i ve to learn how to do it as i cant seem to put in the highways i want to calculate the time of driving. they just give me the best route they can find.

thanks again regds

ysh

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto to Ottawa best route.

Here's the hwy #7 route on google maps

http://goo.gl/maps/5em8

Edited: 07 July 2012, 15:07