We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant choice for group dinner

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant choice for group dinner

I have a group of 25 ladies going to Stratford for a Saturday matinee and overnight stay. In the past we have dined at the Annex, twice, Bentley's and Felinni's, when they still had a big room in the basement, for our dinner. I would like to try something new this time.

Money is an issue for some ladies others don't care as long as they get a nice dinner. I want to go to a place where someone on a budget would have a couple choices in the $15 range.

Right now I am choosing between Rene's, Felinni's, and York Street Station. All have told me that could accomodate us.

Does anyone have an opinion about group dinner at any of these places?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

I'm not sure about group events at any of the above. If you've been to Fellini's before and found that suitable then that's one possibility.

Have you contacted The Sunroom? We had a group of 12 they accommodated in their main dining room and it might be worth a phone call.

http://www.sunroomstratford.com

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

Thanks Tobie. The prices for entrees at the Sunroom are a bit high for our group.

As far as Fellini's it was about 7 years ago and we ate in a large room in the basement that was set aside for groups. They have since closed off that room. We would eat in the main dining room this time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

Hi Dragoms,

I've done this exact same thing. I've often travelled with a group of gals from Ottawa to Stratford for a long weekend (usually there are 20 or more of us). And likewise many of whom are on a tight budget, as we try hard to make the whole visit very affordable, so that we can fill a tour bus (which is our largest expense). We've found that over the years Bentley's is always our best bet (and I know you've already been there). But the food is decent, the price is right, they can accomodate our group, the service is great (in and out in time for the theatre... we let them know beforehand) etc. So although over the years we've thought of going elsewhere we are afraid to take the risk.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... If you leave room for dessert (or need a break in your shopping time) check out "Let Them Eat Cake" the sweet concoctions are amazing!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

Thanks Wine 4-2

Have you ever dined at York Street Station for dinner?

Sally

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

Hi Dragoms,

No I haven't. We did as a group eat a Chinese Restaurant once near the Bentley. It was very good and a good deal when divided up. But of course, eating at a place like that means that it is much harder to satisfy everyone, some people just are not fans. So as I said we've gone back to Bentley's at least then there is lots of individual choice (including Vegetarian).

When I was at Bentley's earlier this summer, I had the special of the day, it was a Curry Dish and it was delish. In previous years I've had pasta, fish and one year I shared a pizza with another gal. As I said all decent and predictable... no surprises.

For us the bonus is they can get us all in and out in a timely fashion... mind you we forewarn them, and keep our day flexible enough that we can show up with plenty of lead time. Over the years sitting in the theatre I've overheard people (and they are typically just a couple not a group) complain how bad the service was at other spots and the typical statement "ya think in this town they'd have this down pat by now".

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

Wine-2-4

One nice thing is that we are seeing the matinee and can have a leisurely dinner that evening. Since Fellini's is telling me they can fit our group I think we will go there. Thanks for your help.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

Hi Dragoms,

As I am part of this annual theatre group trip... could you come back and report on your experience, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

Yes I will report back.

My group usually goes every other spring but the Festival sent me a letter with great prices for this fall I couldn't resist putting together a group. I ended up with 28 in my group plus 7 more going to the play then staying elsewhere.

Where do you stay when you go? We always stay at the Arden Park but years ago we stayed at Albert Place. We love Arden Park. We also love the Sunday brunch there. The Annex is my favorite restaurant but 28 is pretty big for them to handle.

I will write about our trip after we get back.

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
116 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

Dragoms -- I am not weighing in on your restaurant choice, and I hope you and your group had or will have a wonderful time in Stratford. I notice that you are from Novi, Michigan, and I just wanted to alert you and your group members to the Michigan Members weekend that occurs in June. For the 2009 season the MM weekend is June 26-28. We will be sponsoring a Saturday lunch with Colm and Donna Feore, a Saturday evening party with the cast of Funny Thing, and a Sunday brunch with Martha Henry and several members of the Birmingham Conservatory. It is always a wonderful weekend, and I hope you and some of your group will join us this year. Each event can be purchased separately; watch the Stratford website for more details. Thanks! Nancy Edmunds

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant choice for group dinner

TO TENNISMOM710,

First I want to compliment you on your pro active approach to letting DRAGOMS know about the Michigan Event for Stratford lovers. That was a fantastic thing to do for a fellow theatre affectionado.

And secondly, I want to say it looks like you have a wonderful weekend planned. These types of Stratford Events are marvelous. Who know perhaps because of your letting DRAGOMS know here in the Forum of this event, that others might also take a greater interest in all that Stratford has to offer.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2