We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryerson University.....

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Ryerson University.....

hello. I am a high school student in the US looking into RU for ungrad. studies for Hospitality & B.Comm. Anyways, RU's website is very generic and vague when it comes to student life and all that, which is why I am hoping someone on here from Toronto could give me the basics on Ryerson (location/convienance, rumors, facts, info about student body, etc.) Any info you might have or know would be great! Thanks so much

. : mc : .

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryerson University.....

I don't know how easy it will be to find in the US, but Macleans magazine (a Canadian news magazine) puts out an annual issue ranking all Canadian univeristies. It has profiles of the schools and rankings in a variety of different categories focusing on both academic standing and quality of life.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryerson University.....

Mc

Ryerson is in downtown Toronto, just a block east of Yonge St. So it's very convenient to the subway; no need for a car. Ryerson has evolved from a college to a university. Its campus is fairly compact.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryerson University.....

As mentioned above, Ryerson's location is about as central as you can get in Downtown Toronto. Write or call them for a program guide, I'm sure they'll have no problem sending you one.

You might also want to try some colleges as this course can probably be taken at Centennial College as well (and the tuition would be about half that of a University)

Toronto
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryerson University.....

if you're interested the link is to an independant student newspaper at ryerson...but you may have already found it...

http://www.theeyeopener.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryerson University.....

I went to Ryerson 11 years ago to study Marketing...so I don't know how much has changed...but when I was there, I loved it. I liked it much more than UofT.

Reasons:

1. you could study the major you wanted! (unless UT, u needed to pass certain mark, or else)

2. the classrooms were small, similar size of high school, meaning, the teachers would KNOW you!

3. we did LOTS of hands on projects, group projects, presentations, sit down interview with the teachers regarding your projects etc, so you would get feedbacks

4. we even did REAL projects for outside companies, i.e., we developed Marketing campaing for a brand, with advertising etc...then there'd be a judge from outside the real world, coming in to judge (think of The Apprentice show)

5. for 4 yrs, i had to take 51 courses (yes, it's a nightmare) to grad, meaning, you got to take lots of related courses.

6. by the 4th years, most of the courses were projects, meaning 1 projects worth 100%, so no class, no tests, and no final exames.

Since it's 11 yrs ago, I don't know how much the concept has changed...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryerson University.....

My h/s guidance councelor told me that Ryerson is innovative and unique in its teaching standards and procedures, so I believe some still stands true today.

To all who have submitted, THANKS!

keep the responses COMING!!!

thanks again

mark

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryerson University.....

bump.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
931 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryerson University.....

You could investigate George Brown College aka The City College which has an excellent course in Hospitality. You would be interested in St. James Campus on King St. downtown Toronto.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
931 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryerson University.....

That's gbrownc.on.ca

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryerson University.....

>> this course can probably be taken at Centennial College as well (and the tuition would be about half that of a University)

But without a degree