We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay in Toronto

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay in Toronto

Hi, We are arriving in Toronto at 11pm from a long flight from Australia on 12 May. We are staying in Toronto until 16 May when we are planning to catch a greyhound bus to Ottawa. We want to go to Niagara Falls on 15 May. We would like some advice on the following:

Where should we stay? My thoughts are that we should stay somewhere in downtown Toronto and get a taxi to the accommodation after we land. Being the middle of the night at least there should not be too much traffic. I would like to find somewhere that costs around CAD120-CAD180 a night. I have looked at Toronto Downtown 111 Lombard St. Does anyone have any thoughts on this accommodation? Any recommendations would be wonderful.

Should we get a Greyhound bus to Niagara Falls or take a day tour? What is public transport like when you get to Niagara Falls and can you get to look around using public transport?

Suggestions on what to see and how to see it in Toronto would be great?

Thank you for your help.

Toronto
Level Contributor
516 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay in Toronto

According to TripAdvisor the Downtown Holiday Inn Express is well reviewed

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155019-d183077…

Personally I just wouldn't stray too far east from there as it can get a little dodgy at times but generally speaking it is a relatively safe area.

I also think the Hilton Garden Inn is probably in a slightly better area. But again that's personal preference

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155019-d117619…

Any specific things you plan to do while in Toronto so we can help you more with hotel selection? Or what age, how many of you?

You can take MegaBus also to Ottawa just FYI.

Niagara Falls is pretty small so however you get there it can be seen in a day easily.

On a side note any specific reason for Ottawa? I would choose Montreal over Ottawa if you're choosing 2 cities.

As for sights again if you provide a little more info about yourself and interests it'll be easier to make recommendations

Edited: 25 February 2012, 09:58
Fletchers Lake, NS
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay in Toronto

I think you are going to pay at least CAD 180/night for Downtown Toronto if not more. Have you thought about staying at a B&B?

And the taxi ride from the airport to a hotel is going to be expensive. Make sure you go to a designated taxi/limo stand. Don't except a ride from anyone inside the airport offering a fare.

torontopearson.com/en/toandfrom/taxilimo/#

You can take the train to Niagara Falls from Union Station in Toronto. It leaves at 8:30am and you can catch a return train at 5:45pm. The cost for an adult is $45.20 and it is a 2 hr train trip each way.

http://www.viarail.ca/en

http://www.niagaraparks.com/

Edited: 25 February 2012, 19:53
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay in Toronto

I am traveling with my husband and we are in our early 50s. We have 9 days on the east coast and are planning on visiting Ottawa, Quebec and Montreal we are flying to Calgary on the evening of 21 May. I know we are not leaving much time in each place but we want to get a taste of these places and hopefully be able to come back and spend more time here next time we visit. We are just starting to try and work out how to get to these places by public transport. It is probably best I make it a new question but would welcome advice of how to do this by public transport. We aren't coming to shop. We would just like to get a feel for Toronto in the few days we are there. We are interested in things that make Toronto unique I suppose, its culture, lifestyle, landscape. I hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay in Toronto

Definitely look into B&Bs. Also, look at staying on the west side in a neighbourhood like The Annex, or Little Italy or Kensington Market. You will definitely get a feel for the city if you do. I've heard lots of favourable comparisons between Toronto and Melbourne. We're much more diverse culturally, however, but Toronto is full of large old Victorian homes and a great restaurant and arts scene.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay in Toronto

Thank you for the advice to look at B&B's in the neighborhoods above. It was great advice. I have found a couple within our price range that have good reviews on TripAdvisor who I have asked for some quotes. I also appreciate the link to the information about the taxi fares.

Any other advice gratefully received. Thank you.

Toronto
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we stay in Toronto

A quick search by date using Tripadvisor's "Compare Rates" function also turns up some hotels at the higher end of, but still within your range, around $160-170: the Holiday Inn Express mentioned above, the Holiday Inn-Bloor Yorkville (which is well located in the Annex), the Novotel Centre (which is downtown, if that's your preference), and a number of others.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we stay in Toronto

If I may suggest, it is worth going to Niagara-on-the-Lake when you visit Niagara Falls (both towns are walkable). They are about 20km away from each other and an easy bike ride through Ontario wine country (lots of free samples). If you are not up for hiring a bike there's a shuttle service called 5-0 Taxi ( http://bit.ly/xFDBlJ ) that cost $18 return. Of course, if you take a tour from Toronto, both towns are usually included -- but you have to do it at their pace.

Hope that helps.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 18:28
8. Re: Where should we stay in Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 18:42