We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best options for Toronto visit

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
6,835 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Best options for Toronto visit

2 adults, traveling with our 11 year old grandson. Mid August. We plan to visit Niagara Falls, and continue to Toronto on a Friday. He plays hockey, so the Hall of Fame is a must.

Car or no car? Is rail a consideration from Niagara? We would need to return to Buffalo for flights home, unless we return from Toronto.

Any additional suggestions to be considered?

I know there is a Westin Hotel nearby. Is this a good central location? Are there other recommended hotels choices? Would like a nice hotel in a good central location.

We all have passports and are aware of the proper documentation needed to visit Canada.

Thank you so much for your help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

From Niagara Falls to Toronto you can take Via Rail which will get you into Union Station which is centre of town, near the lake, and happens to be right across from the Hockey Hall of Fame. Take a look at the Novotel as well as the Westin, as it's closer to the subway. If you'd like to stay in a grand hotel, the Royal York is exactly next to what your grandson loves and perhaps worth the splurg for yourselves (see if you can get your grandson to sit for high tea, one of the best in the city).

If you want to travel a bit outside of these urban centres a car is a big help, but if you're sticking to downtown, save yourself the hassle and expense of renting.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

Hello,

Did you have a chance to read this article?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-c97995/Toront…

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
571 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

I was also going to recommend the Novotel. Not quite as fancy as the Westin, but still pretty nice (my in laws stayed there for our wedding) and walking distance to the subway and the HHOF.

Definitely don't need a car for Toronto. Whether or not you want one for Niagara falls depends on what you plan to do while you are there.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,835 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

We always look forward to our visits to Canada. Beautiful country and nice, helpful people. Thanks to you all for the great information.

I read the article and have a question, please. I would prefer to have reserved seating. Would my best choices be Via Rail or Mega Bus?

Our grandson is a really good hockey player. Is one day enough to spend in the Hall of Fame?

Thanks again.

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

With 3 people, the cost savings of travelling in and out of Buffalo vs Toronto should cover the cost of the car rental, parking etc and give you a lot more flexibility and comfort.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
25,771 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

Yes, one day is enough for the HHoF...................

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
25,771 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

queeni: ...as you are here mid-August, you may be in time for the CNE....a.k.a. The Ex..(The Canadian National Exhibition).......................a yearly "world's fair" type event which is hugely popular...all kinds of events, activities and midway rides which I'm sure your grandson would enjoy, as well as yourselves......................

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,835 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

17 August is our arrival day. Would that be a problem? Thanks

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
571 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

"I read the article and have a question, please. I would prefer to have reserved seating. Would my best choices be Via Rail or Mega Bus?"

Do you mean reserved as in "Seat 12A" or as in "paid and reserved in advance"?

I don't think Megabus does specific seating. VIA trains are sometimes reserved, and sometimes not. Booking tickets well in advance for VIA will save you quite a bit of money.

My personal preference is for the train (I find it more comfortable), but I would probably check the schedules and see which work best for you.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,835 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best options for Toronto visit

kjkToronto

I did mean to say reserved seating, like a specific seat assignment. I think it avoids alot of stress, when trying to board. I like the Via Rail option also. Thanks