We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for a Monday morning layover at Pearson airport

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
ideas for a Monday morning layover at Pearson airport

My friend arrives at the crack of dawn, before rush hour so traffic won't be much of an issue, and I'll drop her off at Pearson around noon. Besides the McMichael Collection in Kleinburg (which is luckily open at 10 on Mondays!), does anyone have any other ideas for places to go between 6:30 am and noon on a Monday?

http://www.mcmichael.com/visit/

Or ideas for a nicer place to have coffee, that's not too far from Pearson?

Thanks for any comments!

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for a Monday morning layover at Pearson airport

Try Zets - good location for you...their menu is hear, and chowhound has said good things about them...

http://zets.ca/restaurant-menu.html

Marish's has a good breakfast in Mississauga, not sure if this is close enough for you and your friend for location...

torontolife.com/guide/…

Hope you have a nice visit with your friend!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for a Monday morning layover at Pearson airport

If you need to have your friend back at the airport for noon I think I would be a bit too nervous to get all the way up to McMichael...and back!!

Silly as this may sound I might be inclined to watch planes land for a bit of time...it is quite fun! Otherwise....grr...tough one...

There is a greek restaurant across from the airport near the park n fly for an early lunch. You could zip down to Square One Mall and shop a bit grab some fancy coffee there. Just jump on the 401 - 403 and get off at Hurontario for Square One...they also have the Crate and Barrel there - fun! But if that isn't your thing they also have a Chapters to browse and drink coffee and catch up.

Also - you could take the 427 straight down to Sherway and grab a coffee there and lounge until some stores open. There is also a Chapters down there as well.

You could head further to the lake and go to Port Credit early - grab coffee, if the weather is good you could head down to the pier...there are some very nice coffee places there too!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for a Monday morning layover at Pearson airport

Hmmm....or Oakville...totally lovely little town and walking and browsing...only 20 minutes on the qew - 403 - 401 to the airport.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for a Monday morning layover at Pearson airport

Oakville-too far. Any traffic issue on the 427/QEW/403 would not be fun.

Closest mall to go to is Woodbine Mall, and I suppose if your friend wants to lose a lot of money quickly, Woodbine Race Track/Slots. (not recommending it, just saying...)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for a Monday morning layover at Pearson airport

Thanks everyone! My friend isn't a big eater (she eats like a bird), and Zet's has massive portions ( I sent some friends to Zet's for breakfast last summer when they were staying near the airport), so we ended up heading to St. Phillips on Islignton in Woodbridge, an Italian bakery/deli/cafe that is open at 7 am! Nice apple turnover, and good cappuccino!

I took some sfogliatelle and cannoli from St. Phillip's to go. I was excited to find out that St. Phillips sells Pocket Coffee- espresso-filled chocolates that are difficult to find in Canada.

Kleinburg was less than a 20 minute drive from the airport, taking Hwy 27.

We arrived in Kleinburg around 9:30 am, and walked around the sculpture garden until 10, when the McMichael Collection opened. We spent about an hour at the Gallery, then headed back to the airport. We returned a little earlier to Pearson than I anticipated, which was useful since it turned out that my friend hadn't checked in for her next flight.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 00:12
6. Re: ideas for a Monday morning layover at Pearson airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:15