We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at Subway Stops

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
4 helpful votes
Parking at Subway Stops
Save

I'll be visiting Toronto in July after spending a day at Niagara Falls. We'll be driving up, but from what I've read so far parking Toronto is a pain as well as expensive. Since I'm considering staying in Markham, would it be advisable to just park at the nearest subway stop for the day and take the train into the city?

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
21 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: Parking at Subway Stops
Save

Hello there I live in Markham and I think from what I read on the TTC website that the subway parking is open to everyone on weekends. But its only open to people with a metropass on weekdays.

You could park your car at a mall and just take a bus over to a subway station and go from there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16,631 posts
874 reviews
597 helpful votes
2. Re: Parking at Subway Stops
Save

Depending what time you show up there is a charge....$5 at most ttc lots at malls (Yorkdale, fairview). Just check on the TTC web site and it will tell you where and how much you can park for.....if you are coming to Toronto on a weekend, downtown parking is quite reasonable, during the week it is punitive....provided you know where you are going, you can park usually for around $10 on the weekend for 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am type of thing...

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
3. Re: Parking at Subway Stops
Save

Reply #1 is out of date... special parking privileges for monthly pass-holders ended in 2008. So yes, on a weekday you'd pay something like $5. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if some lots get pretty full pretty early.

Why are you thinking of staying in Markham, anyway? It's not a very convenient location for a typical tourist visit. Staying downtown puts you within easy reach of so much more, and if you're flying in you could avoid renting a car entirely (or do it for side-trips only, e.g. if you were going to Niagara Falls).

Edited: 9 years ago
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
17 reviews
28 helpful votes
4. Re: Parking at Subway Stops
Save

I thought there was no parking in those lots from 3 to 6 am ?

North on Younge st is where i would park, near the 401 but then I believe it can't stay there overnight.

The best way I would recommend would be park in the GO lot in Niagara and take the GO bus or train to Toronto and back.Its like $18 each way a person but then you save on gas and parking is free for 48 hours--Niagara is tourist friendly, would not surprise me if they let you slide and park longer then 48 hours if you have out of state plates...but I never tried it, so don't hold me to it

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Parking at Subway Stops
Save

We'll be getting into Toronto from Niagara on the afternoon of July 5th and leave around noon on the 7th (so in on Thursday and leave on Saturday). We are flying into/out of Buffalo hence the car, otherwise I would totally forgo the car if we were only going to Toronto. The only reason why I am thinking about staying in Markham is to avoid the high hotel prices on Friday night in Toronto proper. Perhaps I'll split it with Thursday night in downtown Toronto and Friday night in Markham (gotta visit that Pacific Mall out there!) but I have to make sure I can hop hotels to qualify for the Marriott Summer Bonus promotion. What are the parking options around the Marriott Courtyard in downtown Toronto? $30 for valet parking seems rather excessive...

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
59 reviews
69 helpful votes
6. Re: Parking at Subway Stops
Save

Frankly, it would be pretty useless to stay up in Markham just for the sake of getting to Pacific Mall. $30 is not usually valet parking; downtown parking anywhere on any day in Toronto is pretty expensive, like Chicago or NYC. It is what it is.

If you're looking to stay with the Marriott brand, consider Marriott Bloor Yorkville. It is right next door to the Bloor & Yonge subway line, one of their smaller hotels, more of a boutique feel to it; I like it. Parking indoors there, but also a Green P lot about 1 block away on Yorkville. See this link for the all day and overnight rates in that lot

http://parking.greenp.com/parking-info/carpark-info/15_37-yorkville-avenue.html

It comes out to roughly $18/day, combined day/night rate.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
17 reviews
28 helpful votes
7. Re: Parking at Subway Stops
Save

Going to the mall you might well want to drive there. The TTC is cool but not always the fastest way to get around.

I hear you on the hotel prices. Did you check Hotwire--Priceline name your own price ? I found many times you can get get a downtown hotel room for around $100 US a night. Last trip there I got the Novotel for $110 US a night (total price per night)--the hotel wanted $199 before taxes a night !

With our weak US dollar I like paying in US dollars. If you don't want to gamble on which hotel you get, Priceline offers fair rates and you pay in US dollars.

You might well have to pay for parking and I know of no way of paying ahead of time in US dollars but its not like you be there for a full week,

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
17 reviews
28 helpful votes
8. Re: Parking at Subway Stops
Save

Yeah not many places left it seems, I look on Hotwire, it be $230 US total price for a 3 1/2 star Downtown East, my gut feeling is that is the Delta Chelsea expect I can't recall if that is a non smoking hotel.

They are showing a 4 star hotel in Downtown West for only $220 but its non smoking also and when I went for the cheaper rate on that side of town, non smoking, it was where the blue jays play baseball, way out from the subway-buses. I loved the hotel but hated the walking.

This was a couple of years back, maybe things have changed but I would not bet on it. Hotwire doesn't "give" the rooms away anymore, many times you just save 20-30%.

Edited: 9 years ago
9. Re: Parking at Subway Stops

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.