We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days at PEI

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
27 helpful votes
Two days at PEI
Save

Hi guys! I'm planning our trip in August. We arrive to Halifax, rent a car and go to Hopewell Rocks right after. Staying in Moncton area and then drive to PEI for two days/nights. One day to drive back through small towns to Halifax area. One day for Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. Last day to explore a city centre of Halifax and fly home PM.

Please let me know if it's doable. What is the best itinerary for PEI for 2 full days? We didn't book accommodations yet. We can stay either in the same place or different parts of the island.

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
28,027 posts
124 reviews
186 helpful votes
1. Re: Two days at PEI
Save

Just wanted to check that you are aware that you need to register online with each of the provincial governments to travel to NB, NS and PEI. Here is the link for NB: https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/travel-registration.html

For PEI, if you google "PEI Pass", that should take you to the government website. You need to upload ID and proof of vaccination, in order to be eligible to not have to self-isolate upon arrival to PEI.

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
41 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: Two days at PEI
Save

Even though PEI is small, 2 days is not a lot of time. Charlottetown is a nice city but if you are looking for beaches, then Cavendish area is probably better.

Our favorite beach is Greenwich which is closer to Souris.

https://www.tourismpei.com/search/OperatorDetails/name/PEINationalParkGreenwich/op_id/5107/

I would pick one base and explore from there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
27 helpful votes
3. Re: Two days at PEI
Save

we know about PEI pass, thank you!

West Chester...
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
12 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Two days at PEI
Save

Wow a lot of driving…..

Only 2 days in PEI?? You will need at least 5 days just to get a feel for the place…WARNING you can fall in love with the island in a very short period of time it is that beautiful……we did a 3 day visit 30 years ago and have been back many times sometimes spending a month on the island…..it takes us 2 days of driving each way to get to the island.

Enjoy your time on the island it is very different than the places you plan on visiting on your trip.

Check out this post I listed a ton of places to check out

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155022-i619-k13609070-Last_week_of_July_or_last_week_of_August_Jellyfish-Prince_Edward_Island.html

Most likely you will be staying in Charlottetown given your short stay since cottages usually require an entire week for rentals BUT get out of Charlottetown to see the real PEI. Make sure you visit a Lobster Supper for a meal, we love New Glasgow Lobster Supper.

West Chester...
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
12 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Two days at PEI
Save

The link below gives a good overview of the island within a few hours of Charlottetown. It is for short cruise ship passenger visits usually 5-8 hours on the island.

https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/charlottetowndrivingtour-09-24-2014.pdf

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
27 helpful votes
6. Re: Two days at PEI
Save

TLC012 thank you so much!

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Two days at PEI
Save

Responses # 2 and 4 offer good advice with viable suggestions. Do not short change PEI. Stay there longer than the short time you envisage visiting the places mentioned. Anne of Green Gables stories are enough of a good reason to keep many visitors in place there. Charlottetown should be be the center of your planning.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
27 helpful votes
8. Re: Two days at PEI
Save

Chunkie Charlene thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
188 reviews
105 helpful votes
9. Re: Two days at PEI
Save

I echo that two days isn't that long and it kind of depends what you want out of your trip. If you're looking for more of the Anne experience, book yourself in Cavendish (I recommend Kindred Spirits Country Inn) and you'll be able to easily access Green Gables, Dalvay, Cape Tryon, and PEI National Park beaches. You can also enjoy Prince Edward Island Preserve Company and New Glasgow Lobster Suppers. To be fair, even if you aren't there to experience Anne, all of the places I just listed are beautiful.

The West Point Lighthouse is a really cool place to stay on the western part of the island (be aware that restaurants there are more limited). And Souris and Greenwich are beautiful beaches.

You can't go wrong, with any of it, but with the time you have, I'd concentrate on the North Central shore. You can stay in Charlottetown (I recommend Great George) if cities are more your speed, but it's not my recommendation. While Charlottetown is lovely, with the amount of time you have, I'd seek out more Island specific locations.

Reply to: Two days at PEI
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Prince Edward Island
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.