We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

Which Prince Edward Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

My 12 year old son and I will be visiting PEI in August for a week or so this summer. I'd like to take him snorkelling for the very first time, kayaking,see a couple of light houses, confederation building, historic sites, plus a couple of fun kid things. I'd really appreciate suggestions. I have been searching through the tourism sites, but I thought it would be good to hear it from people who have "been there done that". Plus, I can't seem to find info on snorkelling.

One other thing - I was planning on maybe just staying in the middle of the island and branching out from there for the week - would this be advisable or should we stay in a central location at one end of the island for a few days, then get a B&B or cabin or whatever at the opposite end of the island for the rest of the time?

Thanks much for any advice you may have!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

All the activities you mentioned are worthwhile ones. I'd also add deep-sea fishing as something you and your son might enjoy. You can go out for 3 to 4 hours, the crew will clean and fillet your catch and you can cook it up that same day(assuming you're staying at a housekeeping cottage or the like). Covehead Harbor and North Rustico are both home to numerous deep-sea fishing operators. I've gone out several times with "Fishy Business" out of Covehead and have always enjoyed it.

I think either lodging scenario you mentioned could work. Personally, I've stayed in one relatively central location(Brackley Beach)and have gone out to various places from there, finding that to be workable. The island is roughly 3-3.5 hours from end to end.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

When I went to PEI with my parents at the age of 14, deep sea fishing was definitely the highlight! So much fun! I even got to steer the boat on the way back to port...

Otherwise, I remember just loving the scenery, the beaches and the food!!!

Enjoy!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

If its rainy and you'd like to swim, the Cari (spelling?) center at UPEI is awesome! 2 huge pools with a waterslide and a hot tub!

Edited: 04 May 2012, 06:43
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

And if you want to show him what life was like "way back when" the Brackley Beach Drive-in should still be open in August!

Edited: 04 May 2012, 06:46
Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

Hi there, I am asking questions on here for pretty much the same thing. I am taking my 11 year old son to PEI/Nova Scotia in August for 15 days. So maybe I will keep checking back here and see what people say. What is your son into?

6. Re: What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2012, 13:20
Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

What a great idea, thank you so much for that. If you have any more of these, let us know.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

Hi QUESTVancouver.

My son is into pioneer villages, kayaking, hiking short distances, swimming, etc. I was hoping to take him snorkelling but I guess it's too cold a climate for that from what I've read. Plus I can't find anywhere that offers that.

Has anyone out there visited the Acadian village on PEI - in the west end I think? I can't seem to find anything more than a mention of it so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile.

Also has anyone visited the native reservation on Lennox Island? We're going to miss the pow wow there as well as the one over on the east end. But I'd like my son to see something about native culture (but if it's not engaging or interesting, he won't be too keen on it).

Has anyone seen the pow wow they have in Charlottetown every year? We may be able to see that one if we time it right.

Thanks!

9. Re: What to see on PEI with 12 year old son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Prince Edward Island
Recent Conversations