We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 10 Places to Eat in PEI?

Cape Breton...
6 posts
Save Topic
Top 10 Places to Eat in PEI?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Federal Way, WA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 10 Places to Eat in PEI?

Well...I just got back from PEI yesterday. I ate seafood chowder and mussels from one end of the island to the other...not to mention the lobsters. I really enjoyed the informality and relatively low cost of the lobster burger and Jake's on the waterfront in Charlottetown. Seafood chowder was best (I think) at the restaurant in St. Peter's (north shore)...don't remember the name of the place but you can't miss it as it is painted bright blue and is right where hwy 2 meets the 313.

I attacked a lobster in North Rustico. You can also get the whole feast at a couple of places in New Glasgow. It's pricey...but where I had one it included a 60 foot long salad bar, non-alcoholic beverages, all the mussels you can eat, and as much of the variety of desserts as you can handle.

Merchantman pub in charlottetown is nice, but pricey. Preferred the atmosphere (informal) at the Gahan Brewery in Charlottetown. (not to mention the brew).

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
205 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 10 Places to Eat in PEI?

My husband and I have been summer residents here for 16 years, so have dined in more restaurants than I can recall! That said, here is the list of our favorites, beginning at the high end in price down to the low end. Remember: All meal tabs have a 16% tax added to them, so a "fine dining" experience will always be a bit pricey.

1. Dayboat: Chef Gordon Bailey is extraordinary. The restaurant is beautifully situated on the water in Rustico. All food served there is fresh (hence, the name of the restaurant) and unbelievably delicious. Dayboat was opened last year, but has become "the" place to dine. Reservations are strongly suggested (especially during high season). Plan to spend $150 to $200 per couple, which would include a cocktail, low-ish end bottle of wine, entree, main plate, and dessert.

2. Dalvay: An island classic. Gorgeous - breathtaking, actually - location on the North Shore. Go around 7pm for cocktails on the veranda or on the lawn; then enjoy a lovely dining experience. Reservations strongly suggested. Priced the same as Dayboat.

3. The Dunes Cafe and Gallery: A "stop" for many tour companies. A very nice art / crafts gallery that also houses a clothing boutique and a restaurant. Arrive early for dinner to have a "cocktail stroll" around the stunning gardens. An eclectic menu that will either please or not. Reservations strongly suggested. Same price range as the above two.

4. Sirenella's: Located in dowtown Charlottetown and run by an owner who takes extraordinary pride in his fine Italian dishes and wine list. Our favorite place for fresh pasta and good Italian wine. Reservations strongly suggested. Price: about $75 to $125 per couple.

5. Dundee Inn: Located in Charlottetown. Go for Sunday brunch - amazing. You can dine on the terrasse, inside in the dining area, or inside in the more casual area. A classic. Price: varies, depending if you go for brunch, lunch, or dinner!

6. The Mill at Glasgow: Situated on the water. Lovely views and comfortable dining. Good, varied menu. Desserts are excellent! Price range: about $75 to $125 per couple.

7. Gahan's: Located on Sydney St. in Charlottetown. Lively clientele, very good service, HUGE beer selection, good food. I especially like the spinach salad with Cajun chicken. Try the "taster" of beers: You get 6 small-ish glasses of various types of ale! Casual. Busy during high season, especially, but quite busy all year long, so reservations are a good idea. Price range: about $30 to $75 per couple, depending on your choice of meal.

8. Queue: Attached to The Pilot House (it's slightly more upscale "sister" restaurant) in Charlottetown. Great light food selection (w/ a few "heavier" meals tossed in, too); known for their martinis. Price range: same as Gahan's

8. Cedar's Eatery: Located on University Ave. in Charlottetown. Mainly Lebanese food, but with island fare added, too. Wonderful, low key place with very good food. (The hummus is amazing!) Price range: about $30 to $45 per couple.

9. Pizza Delite: Really good pizza! Located in a former jail. An inexpensive, fun place.

10 - 100!: Any and all "lobster" places: Truly, you can't go wrong with a lobster meal up here... or with the chowders. Stay with places that specialize in seafood and you'll love whatever is put in front of you! Prices vary considerably, depending on how "fine" or "casual" you choose to dine.

Prince Edward Island
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 10 Places to Eat in PEI?

Here are some ideas:

Flex Mussels: Located in Summerside, this small eatery in Spinnaker's Landing serves mussels exclusively, in your choice of 20 (or so) different ways. You can't beat a totally fresh, chef-prepared mussel feast for $10-15.

The Home Place: This is a locals restaurant in Kensington that seats about 40 people. Great food, modest prices, homey atmosphere.

Culinary Institute of Canada: In Charlottetown, the chef school has two options. The Lucy Maud Dining Room is open for lunch and supper, reservations suggested, beautiful meals prepared by students and chef instructors. Expensive and dress-up. A better option: the Culinary Institute cafeteria. For $8.95 you get a 3-course meal including drink, also prepared by students under the watchful eye of chef instructors. Casual, eat in the cafeteria with a fantastic view of the ocean.

Landmark Cafe: In the seaside village of Victoria-By-The-Sea, this small place has great food and tons of personality.

Trailside Cafe: Eastern part of PEI in Mount Stewart. Check the website, trailsidecafe.ca Good place for Maritime music and for a stop when biking the Cnfederation Trail.

New London Seafood Restaurant: Located in New London, center of the Island at the intersection of Highways 6 and 8. A variety of fresh seafood (and non-seafood) selections, well prepared at reasonsble prices.

Montreal
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 10 Places to Eat in PEI?

For a quick bite, go for the best mussels on the island at Flex Mussels in Summerside.

And for a lobster dinner, Fisherman's Wharf is our place to go.

montreal
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 10 Places to Eat in PEI?

Well, I also spend my summers on the island and I am happy to say good food is finally here.

I agree with some listed already but no harm in repeating.

You must go to Day Boat. (near Rustico) If you don't want to spend the money for an expensive dinner, I suggest lunch. They have a selection of dishes cooked with fresh lobster for less than $20. I actually think I prefer going at lunch time.

Charlottetown the Harbor House is great and they have a well priced "table d"Hote" menu.

Home Place in Kensington is a gem. Food so fresh and reasonable

Charlottetown's Institute of Culinary school is beautiful and the food is less expensive. Be prepared, the staff seem a little "shy". That's ok they are in training.

The Mill is also nicely set and the food is great. Large quantities!

I'll mention Shipwrights because the food is good, but I found them pricey this year. I don't know about their luncheon menu.

Casual eating:

Formosa Tea house in Charlottetown amazing authentic asian cuisine

The Diner in Summerside. Get ready to step back to the 60's. Not only with the decor, but the service, prices and portions are great.

I would say their home made french fries are the very best I've eaten

Well, except for my mother's.

sunsetsandsealights@yahoo.com

6. Re: Top 10 Places to Eat in PEI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Prince Edward Island