We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions from Ottawa to PEI

Which Charlottetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nepean
1 post
Save Topic
Directions from Ottawa to PEI

Hi There!

We are planning on driving to PEI....from Ottawa.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a good map that will show us how to get there?

2. Also....does it take 12 hours?

3. If we decide to make the trip in two days where is a good place to stop and stay for a night?

Thanks!!!!

Much Appreciated

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions from Ottawa to PEI

slooby

There are free websites such as mapquest.ca that suggest a route and distance/time. Using the "directions" feature of Mapquest, Nepean to PE is 14 hrs, 21 minutes and a distance of 1339 km

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions from Ottawa to PEI

Hi Nepean!

There are the two basic routes you could follow: the Canadian route and the American route.

The Canadian is simpler, it's freeway almost all the way, and takes slightly longer:

1) Ottawa to Montreal - 2 hours and change

2) Montreal to Quebec City - 2 to 2 1/2 hours

3) Quebec City to Riviere du Loup - 1 3/4 hours on Route 20

4) Riviere du Loup to New Brunswck - 1 hour or so on Route 185

5) In New Brunswick to Moncton - 5 hours or so on Route 2.

6) Moncton to PEI via Confederation Bridge - 1 hour.

I get about 13 to 14 hours with no dawdling along the way. Add gas station stops, bathroom stops, meals, rush hour traffic around Montreal, and don't forget that you lose an hour with the time change to Atlantic Time. Assuming two hours for odds and sods, plus the time change, I'd guess that if you leave Ottawa at 5 a.m. Eastern Time, you'll reach PEI by 10 p.m. Atlantic.

To get there through Maine, take Route 10 at Montreal:

1) Ottawa to Montreal - 2 hours and change

2) Montreal to Sherbrooke - 1 hour on Route 10

3) Sherbrooke to the US Border via Route 112, 253 and 212 - 1 hour or so. Customs should take only a couple of minutes because this is not a busy crossing.

4) In Maine to Skowhegan - A shade under 2 hours on a very scenic highway, Rt. 27, 16, 148 and 201.

5) Skowhegan to Bangor - 1 hour on Rt 2 and I-95.

6) Bangor to St. Stephen NB - A shade under 2 hours on Rt. 9

Gas up in Calais, ME where gas is about 25 cents / Liter cheaper than in Canada. At the border, allow up to a half-hour at busy times, five minutes at quieter times. Also, you lose an hour here for the time change.

7) St. Stephen to Moncton - 2 1/2 hours on Rt 1 and 2.

8) Moncton to PEI via Confederation Bridge - 1 hour.

It's about an hour shorter through Maine, assuming you don't get caught in the traffic bottleneck of the Champlain Bridge at Montreal and possible slow driving in Maine, where most of the way is two-lane undivided highway.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directions from Ottawa to PEI

I just arrived back from PEI this week. I split the driving into two days. I left Summerside and drove as far as Edmundston, NB. That was just about 6 hours. The next day's drive to Ottawa was just under 8 hours.

You'll love PEI!

Leicester
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Directions from Ottawa to PEI

Hi sloobyroo, how did you get on with your trip?

We are also making similar plans for September and any opinions/advice would be most welcome.

PEI is one of the most relaxing places we have found.

Take care, keep well and happy

5. Re: Directions from Ottawa to PEI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 23:17