We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

England
Level Contributor
464 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

Hi

At the planning stage for a road trip around eastern canada in beginning of May 2012 and would like suggestions / advice etc.

Day 1 - drive Scranton PA to Niagara Falls

Day 2 - Niagara falls

3 - Drive Toronto

4 - in Toronto

5 - Drive Ottowa

6- In Ottowa

7 - Up early drive Montreal and visit

8 - Drive Quebec City

9 - Quebec City

10 - Drive to Portland ME

11 -Freeport outlets

12- Drive to Jersey city or New york city to see relatives

13- NYC or NJ malls

14- NYC or NJ malls

15 - fly home from Newark

Potential option as weve been to Maine before is to miss Quebec city and drive down through upsate New York ?

Advice please about places to stay, routes (like driving so distances

above ok) any ideas please.

Shall post in a few forums as coverning a big area.

Thank you

Ian UK

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

My first comment is that it is a huge amount of driving with little or no time to actually do any sightseeing, let alone rest between all the driving. Are you truly commented to visiting all these places, or are there some, besides cutting out Maine, that you truly must see and can avoid others.? In other words, I would cut it down even further but would like your must sees first.

JDP

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

You've cross posted this all over the place.

See my reply in the Ottawa forum.

ktown

England
Level Contributor
464 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

Hi

Would like to see Niagara falls, whic seemed naturally to flow to visitng Toronto as close. Happy for visit to centre of Toronto to be one day.

After that suggestions re other canada places to visit, would like to drive back via upstate NYC rather than Main, as we did ME before.

Quebec city looks nice, but appreciate its further from Toronto.

Are Montreal, Ottawa worth visiting compared to QC ?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

Both Ottawa and Montreal are great cities, and both will have similarities and differences from Toronto. Quebec City, just for a point of reference, is considered North America's most European city, and while I love it, as I do the other 2 as well, bear that in mind when planing your trip

I'm not as familiar with Ottawa, Canada's capital city, though we've been several times. Seeing Parliment, and other government buildings are nice, as is the river flowing through town, especially during the tulip festival. But I'll let the local DE's describe it more.

Montreal is a more cosmopolitan city, maybe more so than Toronto though I'm not quite sure, and many will say it is like other North American cities. It does have Old Montreal, a tourist area with cobblestone streets, old buildings, great restaurants, etc. There are also some great neighbors like the Plateau. I think it is more of a foodie city than Toronto but that is probably open to debate. And of course there are other historical sites, museums, churches, to explore. Finally, it would be easy to head south and connect with US Route 87 heading towards New York City and New Jersey.

If you had a couple of days you could park your car in Montreal, take the train to Quebec City, stay a few nights, return to Montreal for one more night, then head south. If you by passed Ottawa this would be even easier, but that is your call.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

Yes a lot of time spent on the roads.

Well just shaving the 2 days for Maine will give you a bit more time.

I have also noticed that you give yourself a full day in each cities but no more. Personally I would use those two extra days by adding one in either Toronto or Montreal and one in Qc.

Driving all the way from Québec City to Newark is a more than 9 hours affair so I would either split the days in Mtl to bookshelf your Trip to Qc or go directly from Ottawa to Québec City and then backtrack to Mtl, that way you will shave almost 3 hours of driving upon return.

England
Level Contributor
464 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

Thanks guys

So if you were to visit eastern canada, which city (cities) would you visit in a week and half after Niagara falls or countryside ?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

Well you got the list right away: Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal. Québec City

Which one to remove if you don't have enough time? Well it depends where the replies come from. Personally I would skip Toronto and drive from NF to Mtl on the south shore of Lake Ontario. But people from TO might say just the opposite!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

While I agree with rickb, from a pratical standpoint, as Quebec City would be the farthest away, and I do hate to say this, I would skip Quebec City and see Toronto, Ottawa & Montreal, so that it would easy to head south from there.

JDP

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

I really don't think you are giving yourself enough time in Eastern Canada. We visited in 2008 (flew into Toronto, hired a car and drove to Ottawa via Kingston and then on to Montreal where we handed back the car). We stayed 2 nights in Toronto, one night in Kingston and 2-3 nights in both Ottawa and Montreal. The only reason we handed the car back was because we had already planned to take the train from Montreal to Quebec City (another 3 nights) and then reboarded the train to Halifax where we picked up another hire car and toured Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island.

Each city has a different character/mood and it is sometimes nice to wander around and explore on foot. For example, in Toronto, we were there at the same time as "Woofstock" (look it up on google) and in Montreal, we came across some Cirque du Soleil artists practising.

We planned our car journeys so that we left just after breakfast but didn't arrive at the next destination until late afternoon/early evening. That way, we had time to stop off at interesting smaller towns along the way.

All in all, this made for a very relaxing trip despite the number of road miles covered.

England
Level Contributor
464 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip - Canada / USA in May 2012

pamjo

thanks for the advice, are your travel days included in the 2 night stays ?

ie hoe long was your complete trip ?