We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

Hi everyone,

I need some help deciding where to stay in the Eastern Townships. We are driving from Montreal to Quebec City via the E.Ts. It will be Oct 8th (Thanksgiving) and 9th, and it'll be me with my wife and two young kids (6 and 8).

We wanted to do it mainly to see the fall foilage,but that's not really helping us to decide where to stay for two nights. We are keen on taking the kids to the Mount Megantic Observatory, which - if done at nighttime - might mean we choose to stay somewhere local to that, but that's really all we can think of doing at this stage. Otherwise I would just be considering somewhere like Granby, Magog or Sherbrooke... but I don't know.

Given that it will be Thanksgiving the first night, is there likely to be any festivals or other family-friendly events that might lead us to stay somewhere in particular? Or maybe there's just a stand-out town within the cantons?

Thanks, any ideas would be great.

Jon

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

I should add that if anyone knows of really good accommodation for us (i.e. a couple with two young kids), then that might help too. Preferably around $150 per night if possible.

thanks again,

Jon

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,021 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

There are a few stand-out towns -- you could check the beautiful villages page at www.beauxvillages.qc.ca/website_english.htm which lists Frelighsburg, Lac Brome, Stanstead, and North Hatley as imembers.

You can also check out the Québec tourism site which has a few suggested routes to take through the Townships at http://tiny.cc/58flq

As for finding accommodation, hmm: given that a lot of these towns are smaller, there are fewer hotels around, but there ARE tons of renovated big old houses that are B&Bs... you could check out a list at www.bbcanada.com/quebec/cantons-de-lest

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

A perfect spot would be Auberge Aux 4 Saisons, 4saisonsorford.com. Nice chalet type rooms at the base of Mount Orford, they also have a terrific dining room, plus offer many packages. Also, conveniently located about 5 minutes from Route 10. The drive would be about an hour east of Montreal.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

If you would be intersted in a nice train tour you could go on the Orford Express. There are also packages available in either the Sherbrooke area and in Magog/Orford. Check www.orfordexpress.com/en/packages.htm It will come more expensive than your stated lodging budget but don't forget that it offers the train ride and brunch on the train or breakfast at the hotel and lunch or dinner on the train.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

Thanks for the recommendation JPD - we booked a family room with bunk beds for the kids at the Auberge Aux 4 Saisons. It looks great!

Cheers,

J

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

You are very welcome. Enjoy and let us know how you made out.

JDP

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

You are in for a treat, foodwise. The chef was trained at the renowned Manoir Hovey before working Aux Quatre Saisons.

Sutton
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

Have you considered Sutton? During that period we host Panorama du haut d'la côte (montsutton.com/en/…519), Mont Sutton Fall Festival. Plus we have great accommodations including Le Pleasant (tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g499380-d1837368…) and great places to eat.

C

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

I have stayed at Hovey Manor before. It's a bit more $ but totally worth it in my opinion.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two nights in the Eastern Townships...but where?

Make sure you get hold of the Townships Trail / Chemin des Cantons map from the local tourist board. This is a signposted route around the Townships which will take you off the beaten track to see the real beauty of the area. The Thanksgiving weekend can be VERY popular for a weekend away so make sure you get dinner relations organised as lots of places will be closed on Sunday and especially the Monday. In Sutton the Autumn festival at Mont Sutton will give you a chance to ride the chairlift and see the colours close up.