We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go to ski from Montreal?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Where to go to ski from Montreal?

Hi,

I moved to Montreal a few weeks ago. I'd like to go skiing early in the new year. Could anyone recommend a go place to go, possibly just for a day trip? Otherwise, a nice place to stay overnight, not too expensive! Also, I love the sound of log cabins! Are they more expensive than other types of accomodation in ski resorts?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,036 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go to ski from Montreal?

Hi cheane;

About 1½ hours north of Montreal is Mont Tremblant. For more information I would suggest reading the comments in the Mont Tremblant forum here on TA;

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g182183-i854-Mont_…

Best Regards

Montreal
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go to ski from Montreal?

There are many ski areas that are an easy day trip from Montreal. It depends how good a skier you are and what you are looking for in a ski hill. Mont Tremblant is nice, but might be a bit much if it is your first time. Check out this list:

…montrealplus.ca/feature/winter_guide/60074/…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go to ski from Montreal?

Hi Cheane,

Welcome to Montreal, may you enjoy living in this great city!

As for skiing there are two ski areas within a relatively short distance from the City (under 2 hours). One is in the east, known as the Eastern Townships and spans from about Granby to Sherbrooke (along Autoroute 10). This area features mostly smaller hills and family style ski resorts... great places to learn to ski.

The other is the Laurentians north of Montreal, and spans from about St Jerome to Mont Tremblant (along Autoroute 15 and Hwy 117). Again there is a lot of smaller hills and family style ski resorts, great places for a beginner.

Mont Tremblant Resort is the KING of the ski resorts in Quebec. It is about 2 Hours from downtown Montreal and is accessible either by driving or grabbing the ski shuttle. If you are new to skiing you might find the mountain imposing and overwhelming. Although it is a great place to learn to ski, especially if one is on a week's vacation.... for someone like yourself who is going to ski once in awhile I recommend one of the smaller resorts around St Sauveur. There are great ski schools and the resorts are closer to the city (about 1 Hour so they are very convenient) and many of them also offer night skiing, so you could get involved in weekly lessons that way if you wanted.

What I do recommend no matter what IS TAKE LESSONS. Do not attempt to ski without lessons... that is asking for trouble. And although you may have friends who offer to teach you to ski, politely find a way to say NO. A professional ski instructor will do right by you, not only haveing your safety in mind at all times (and they are trained to react to the unforeseen) but they also are PROS and will have you skiing competently very quickly, and just like any sport they will help you correct any bad habits right from the start, so you'll end up a better skier overall. Your progress will amaze you! And in the end your experience with skiing will be better overall.

If you are looking to make a weekend of it then it would be fun to go to Tremblant. But they are more expensive, although they have an incredible ski village with all the goodies... bars, restaurants, clubs, spas, hotels, condos, the works.

A cheaper alternative is to ski and stay at Gray Rocks (good ski school) and just down the road from Mont Tremblant... then you can take in all that Tremblant has to offer in the evening... and gradually work yourself up to skiing THE KING. LOL

Here are some links:

Ski Central Quebec http://skicentral.com/quebec.html

Mt Tremblant www.tremblant.ca

Gray Rocks www.grayrocks.com

Happy Skiing!

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go to ski from Montreal?

I hear a lot of french at Jay Peak in Vermont (USA), so I can venture to guess it's a popular ski resort for folks from Quebec. It's located just south of the US/Canada border, about an hour and a half from Montreal. Jay is a great area and gets lots of natural snow. They used to take Canadian $$ at par, not so sure any more so I'd double check.

Have fun this winter!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go to ski from Montreal?

VTER is correct.

US skiing has always been popular with Quebecers and Montrealers in particular... because it is so close, and offers several more choices. The Adirondacks of New York State (Whiteface), The Green Mountains of Vermont (Jay Peak, Stowe, Smugglers Notch, Killington) and the White Mountains of New Hampshire (Attitash, Cannon Mt). Of course some of these are several hours away by car and are more of destination spots for a long weekend or week long ski trip.

Jay Peak has always been a favourite with Montrealers because it is so close by, and as VTER said it has in the past offered essentially what are discounts taking Canadian Money at Par. It is also a great spot for families (or beginners).

I haven`t heard if Jay Peak will be offering the same deal for 2008-09... nonetheless with the Canadian Dollar down, vacations in the US have gotten more expensive in the last few months.

Also there is the border hassle, for some like Vistors to Canada, or Landed Immigrants crossing isn`t an easy option. Also going to the US is beter served as a long weekend destination, because then one doesn't have to worry as much about Personal Exemptions (Duties, Taxes, etc) on anything one chooses to purchase while abroad (need to be out exactly 48 Hours to get the best bang for one`s buck).

Here is another great link that lists ski resorts all over North America, a great place for a finding a comprehensive listing for any one State or Province: www.ski-resorts.ca

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go to ski from Montreal?

Thanks for all the great advice everyone, very informative :)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,036 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go to ski from Montreal?

Hi cheane;

Something to consider if you decide to visit the US;

As a citizen of the Ireland, upon entering the US you will be required to obtain an I-94W visa waiver, as an addition to your passport. To obtain the waiver, you will be photographed, fingerprinted, and pay a fee of $6 US.

The I-94W visa waiver will be attached to your passport, and must be surrendered when you leave the United States.

Best Regards

8. Re: Where to go to ski from Montreal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 23:16