We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bargain shopping in Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Bargain shopping in Montreal

Apart from seeing the many wonderful things listed in the things to do section, I would like to do some clothes shopping in Montreal. Are there any good factory shops in the area? We were disappointed in Toronto that many of the so called factory shops (such as Roots) were just proper shops selling at normal prices. I have heard that there is a Nike shop - does anyone know if it's any good and where it is?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

First off, have a look at my list on shopping spots in Montreal. It sums up each shopping spot and gives the metro station nearby:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22489-Shopping…

Now for factory outlet shopping, if you do not have a car, you options are limited.

-Marche Central (item 7 in the list) is the easiest to reach by public transportation. However, it's not like USA factory shops, where the shops are all near each other and the parking lots are around the outskirts. The shops are larger but you will have to do some walking between them, so it's kind of a bother. All factory outlets around Montreal are this way. You can find some awesome deals though. Saturday i went to Tristan at MC and everything was 50% off the already discounted price. 22$ for jeans and a shirt! But i own a car....

-Quartier Dix30 (not in my list) is your other choice. It's still accessible by public transportation though you will have to take a bus. Not the easiest to get to. It's relatively the same as Marche Centrale, though there are more shops. They explain directions on this page:

http://www.quartierdix30.com/directions/

Now for your Nike question:

To the best of my knowledge (and it's pretty good in this field) and according to nike.com & google, there is no Nike shop in Montreal.

However, nike products can be found in many sports stores. Sport Expert, Atmosphere, Mountain Equipment Coop, etc... And of course the shoes can be found just about anywhere. Some of these do have locations at the factory outlets.

My advice is: if you're here to go on a shopping spree, 200-400$ each and really looking for deals, then perhaps it is worth you going to Dix30 or Marche Central. Otherwise, a little planning (and i could help you if you have specific demands) and you can find great sales downtown that would be the same as going to a factory outlet.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

Sylve684, I notice your shopping list doesn't include the Chabanel area -- perhaps it would be a good idea to add it since the question of factory outlets comes up often and it's a true factory outlet since the Chabanel area is where what remains of our fashion industry is.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

There is a Nike outlet in St Sauveur, in fact there are many outlets there in a shopping complex in the town. But that is a good hour from Montreal by car and the outlets are not that cheap.

SHopping outlet malls, like you find in the USA, are just not a big thng here. I went to a few in Florida and I know what you are looking for, but they don't exist.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

I haven't put the Chabanel area, it's true. I don't know if i should since it's mostly some clothing lines who rent a suite in one of the run down buildings, and setup temporary shop there. That single is my experience of it and i was not a fan. If you (or others) have a better feel of the place and think i should put it in, send me a PM, i'm open to suggestions.

Edited: 22 August 2011, 10:24
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

Hmm.... I'm not really a shopper, but many people ask about factory outlets, and our answers are always a little underwhelming, since we don't really have the outlet mall model here in Canada. Even Saint-Sauveur and the Mega-Centre Sainte-Dorothée Laval which bill themselves as having factory outlets aren't the same as what you find in the U.S. for example; there, outlet malls are often not really outlets at all but a separate business model altogether, not remainders but merely cheaper goods sold at malls far out in lower-rent districts.

But many people who say "factory outlets" actually mean bargains, which are to be found indeed. The Chabanel district is hardly the same shopping experience as an outlet mall, but it does indeed have bargains -- rather like shopping at Winners or at one of many street sales if you happen to be lucky to be visiting Montréal during one of them.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

Depends a lot when you are coming. The sales in Montreal are in end June-mid July and January-mid February. Anyway you will not have anything closer with the sales that you get in London.

Whatever factory shops you saw in Toronto you will have them in Montreal. The Outlets as exists in Canada are just usually a different cheaper line of the same store, very little are true discontinued items. Most retailers have dedicated orders for Outlet with lower quality and prices. Don't bother with the Chabanel area, years ago it used to be the hub of the fashion industry in Montreal, not anymore.

I would stick with the stores downtown, look for the Clearance racks. Try Maison Simmons it is a little bit more trendy. You can also check the stores on Le Plateau, avenue Mont-Royal and St-Denis for funky little stores. But again don't expect bargains as you have in London or in US.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

Well I haven't looked at the whole list by my pal Silve but I can add two stores that are really discounter for Canadian chains. So clothes that you won't find in the US or Brit chains. Le Chateau discounted store is located on Jean-Talon street, just near the Namur Métro station. Then afterward if you walk a bit east on Jean-Talon you will find a few more discount outlets, ending at the infamous Village des Valeurs! Not really like shopping at Sawgrass Mill near Fort Lauderdale at all but can be fun for the dedicated shopper.

The other discounted chain store is for shoes at Aldo on Avenue du Mont-Royal. The whole area is full of funky (or funky wannabees) boutiques but this store still sells last season leftovers but the choice of shoe size can be limited. Same area there is also a Tristan and America store that used to be discounted stuff but they have made renovations so it might be just a regular store of that chain now . Anyways Mont-Royal is a better place to discover than Jean-Talon W!

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

Thanks all. I guess what I'm looking for just doesn't exist here. I will check out your list of shops options Sylve. We do have a car and could do MC. What shops are there? The link shows directions but the shops click through needs Flash which I cannot use on my IPad. Thanks again.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

Oh you have a car? That changes everything! Saint-Dorothé is bigger then marche centrale, and just off highway 13. I shop there more then Dix30, but i think Dix30 is comparable... Of all 3 Marche Central is the smallest, but the only one on the island of montreal.

I'm limited on time so i'll name it off the top of my head:

Marche Central:

(Fashion) Tristan & America, Smart Set, Garage, La vie en Rose, Tommy Hilfiger, Moores, Jacob, Winners, Reitmans, Pennington 14+, Gap, Old Navy....

(Other) Moutain Equipment Cop, Best Buy, Omer Des Serres, FutureShop, Pier 1 Imports, Golf Town....

-Of all of these, the fashion stores are the best deals

Sainte-Dorothé Outlets (only by car)

(Fashion) Tristan, Mexx, Smart Set, Aldo, Naturaliser, Ecco, La vie en Rose, Senza, Jacob, Garage, Dynamite, Ardene, Winners, Reitmans, Nine West, Clement (kids),

(Other) FutureShop, Walmart, Canadian Tire, Pier 1 imports, DecoDecouverte, Sport Expert, L'équipeur,

There are more but you get the idea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bargain shopping in Montreal

Thanks. By the way I saw your review of a chocolate creperie place and it sounded great!