We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruby Foo's

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
10 helpful votes
Ruby Foo's

A long time ago, my wife and I visited Montreal & had dinner at a Chinese restaurant called Ruby Foos. I was wondering if it still exists. I Googled it & found a hotel by that name, but no restaurant.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
36 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Ruby Foo's

Was it in Chinatown, near downtown?

If so, i do believe you are refering to Ruby Rouge (which sounds similar to Ruby Foo's). that place serves really good dim sum. there are some pictures of the interior on yelp:

http://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/restaurant-ruby-rouge-montreal?select=EJMg1GToZSZjxd5mHq6bJw#EJMg1GToZSZjxd5mHq6bJw

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
57 reviews
94 helpful votes
2. Re: Ruby Foo's

No really it was Ruby Foo's and was on Descarie Boulevard (well facing Decarie expressway) and it went down the drain quite a few years ago as were other places that were heavily patronized by the Jewish population of the West Island. Ruby Foo's the restaurant was opened somewhere in the 50's but then the owners decided to open a hotel / motel for Expo 67. Both businesses were split in the 70's with both keeping the same name but finally the restaurant part folded somewhere in the late 80's or early 90's.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
19,391 posts
34 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: Ruby Foo's

Long gone. But there is a new place in that area called PF Changs. An American/Chinese chain. Great food and service, had dinner there last week. Food served family style.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
36 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Ruby Foo's

Careful rickb, your age is showing ;-)

Austin, Canada
Level Contributor
53,784 posts
965 reviews
606 helpful votes
5. Re: Ruby Foo's

That was a classic...quite a few years ago.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
57 reviews
94 helpful votes
6. Re: Ruby Foo's

I am a chef but also a foodie since my early days. I bought my first restaurant guide for Montréal when I was around 14 so yes my age might be showing but not as much as you can think. With that first guide I discovered Eaton's Ninth Floor Dining Room solo at 15 but never went to Ruby Foo's!

TravelAdvice might have gone with his parents, when he was quite young though... Lol!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
36 reviews
32 helpful votes
7. Re: Ruby Foo's

Just teasing you :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
12 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Ruby Foo's

Ruby Foos was great in the 60s & 70s and then it fell from grace & since then, the space has been occupied by a myriad of restaurants. One of the most recent failures was Mah Jhong that claimed to have many of the old Ruby Foos recipes. Tried it once, it was just ok and 2nd time was not good at all. In the day, I enjoyed their PooPoo platter. And the hotel looks its age.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
247 reviews
143 helpful votes
9. Re: Ruby Foo's

I remember driving by Ruby Foos, but we never walked in. I do remember places like Miss Montreal from my childhood, but the pictures I have seen http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u3EkupS7N4s/UMeiaggJZyI/AAAAAAAATNY/BTlDNQZ5fHY/s1600/oldpic%23120.jpg don't really resemble what I remember. I assume that this is the original location that closed in 1968 and I have yet found a picture of the second version, the one that I remember that later became Curly Joe's and now a Jaguar dealer. I have managed to find a copy of the old Curly Joe's logo though at http://trade.mar.cx/CA374071/

But if you really want to see an interesting photo, go to Tasty Foods for pizza, they have photos there from before the Decarie Expressway. It was interesting to see these photos from before my days.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
31 helpful votes
10. Re: Ruby Foo's

In the early 1970's my parents would go up to Montreal to have dinner at Ruby Foo's. They would usually bring home a box of the spare ribs which we would enjoy the next day. Over the last decade I have been searching for something close to those. We tried Mah Jhong and I agree with BigHabs Fan, they were ok. For our yearly pilgrimage to Montreal, our go to has become Yangtze which has "Ruby Foo's" spare ribs. They are the closest to what I remember. If anyone knows of another place in Montreal that even comes close to that old recipe, please let me know!

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.