We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

Our first time traveling to Quebec City and plan to stay a 2-3 days. I see some hotels as listed in Old Town and others in Downtown. Which is a better area or is Old Town just a neighborhood of downtown? Any hotel recommendations? Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

Old town is considered within the walls of the old city. Downtown I would say includes old town plus some of the outskirts of that. For maximum enjoyment stay within the walls.

As for places to stay there are many options. That depends first on what your needs and budget are.

JDP

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

hi

this is Old Quebec boundaries according to Google https://goo.gl/maps/XurgaZ6X5Zz which has an Upper and Lower Town. Hotel Booking use marketing terms for location that is to their advantage (-:

there are a few hotels on Grande Allee https://goo.gl/maps/sb5ZC2eEmFm just past the Wall; which forces you to walk to the Terrace near the Chateau Frontenac and the funicular to the lower town. On the way is the Plains of Abraham and the Citadel which is still part of a working military base for the 22e Regiment. Starting at Hotel Concorde going towards the Upper Town you get a block of restaurants with outdoor patios.

Edited: 12 March 2017, 16:32
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
732 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

Yah I almost booked using Hotwire. Im traveling alone so im quite flexible. BUT the area I looked at was sooooo huge. But the price was good lol. It was for a 3.5* but the boundary appears to be large. Includes: St Roch, Downtown, Old Town, St Jean Baptiste and out to Montcalm.

Not that I know the area at all BUT that are is HUGE.

Not sure what to do.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

Downtown if you are coming for business. Old town if you are coming as a tourist.

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

thank you!

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

So where did you stay? I am trying to book for next week and I had the same questions regarding Old Town vs. Downtown. Thanks!

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

Old Town all the way! Great sites, restaurants and shops, very walkable.

We stayed at Hotel Le Priori

15 rue Sault au Matelot

QUEBEC

Lovely hotel.

Edited: 17 August 2017, 22:08
New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

Looks lovely! Glad that it worked out for you.

I messed up - went with Hotwire and got the Hilton, which is downtown not Old City. Oh well. I'll know for next time! Thank you!

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

As long as you find some time to get into Old Town. Have a nice trip.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?

Hi my husband and I are planning a road trip with our two kids age 3&8 ..starting point Toronto to old Quebec City hoping to avoid heavy traffic in Montreal any suggestions or recommendations in route to take and hotel to stay (budget 100-130) and places to visit in old Quebec City with kids our stay would be 2-3 days then heading to maritime your advice greatly appreciated

Reply to: Quebec City - Old town or downtown?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Quebec City