We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scranton...
Level Contributor
33 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

So, I just booked my stay at the Frontenac from 11/6-11/10! I am so excited! Initally I was going to stay at the Auberge Saint-Antoine, but I figured the Frontenac would be something a little more special. I was a little disappointed in hearing the Gold rooms are under construction, so I reserved the signature room (hope it is good).

Anyway, this will be our (my husband and I) first time in QC and I was wondering what it is like during early November? Will there be xmas decorations up? Are there still activities on the streets and shows (cirque du soleil).

Also, I have been reading a lot about the Fairmont President's Club and was wondering if it would still be worth signing up if I have already booked my reservation. One of the enrollment requirements is a home address....are they going to send me a brochure or something? I am only asking because this is a surprise trip for my husband and I don't want him seeing any mail about the Frontenac.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

As for signing up for the President's Club, yes they will send you a packet which will contain some discount coupons that you can use from the date of your enrolling for one year, such as $25.00 off eatting at one of their restaurants, suite & room upgrades, etc. While not necessary for this trip, except perhaps to help get a window seat at Le Champlain, their high end restaurant, it will be good for future Fairmont visits.

Too bad about the Gold rooms. We did see the construction going on when we were there earlier this month, but I think you'll like the room you got.

As for the weather, bring warm clothes. There might be snow but the first significant snows seem to have been arriving later and later, but I would be prepared just in case. It could still be very windy, cold and rainy.

Yes, some places will have some decorations out while others will be getting ready. However, outdoor cafes, and the cirque show will be closed.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Rimouski (Québec)
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

Hello,

For things to do during your stay, go to www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/quebec0.html and check the "events" and "Activities and Attractions" on that page.

Robert

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

You could sign up for the presidents club when you arrive, then the surprise would be done and you can still get the free internet etc.

The Frontenac is a treat no matter when you go.

If you interested in history do stop by the Museum of Civilisation in the lower town, they have some great exhibits of historical and cultural interest. It is a great place to wander about if the weather is cool.

Also have a cocktail in the bar ST LAurent, it will be pricey, but it is such a lovely place to sit and watch the world go by.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
33 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

Wow, thanks everybody for your tips! I am so excited to visit Quebec City for the first time, I cannot wait! I called the Frontenac and they said they usually don't have xmas decorations up until the end of Nov, early Dec. They said they should have fall themed decorations up, so that's good.

Either way, I know I am going to have a blast.

Thanks again!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

Hi Alp250,

Welcome to the QUEBEC CITY TRAVEL FORUM

And I see you are fairly NEW to the TA FORUMS... so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Great info here from my colleagues... the Chateau Frontenac is an iconic Hotel (the most photographed in the world) and THE place to stay when visiting Old Quebec.

Agree, plan to join the Fairmont's President's Club... even if you only stay one time at a Fairmont, you'll still qualify for some perks.

As for Christmas Decorations... you'll certainly see some about... BUT it won't necessarily be the same as in the USA in November (or earlier... gosh I saw a store decorating Christmas Trees in Syracuse NY... BEFORE Labour Day in September)... Here, there are still a fair amount of Canadians & Canadian Businesses... who don't go whole-hog with the decorating until AFTER All-Saints Day (November 1st) and Remembrance Day (November 11th) out of a sign of respect.

As the saying goes...

To everything there is a season...

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Scranton...
Level Contributor
33 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

Thanks Wine-4-2! I was reluctant at first when I saw that the Frontenac was ranked #19 on the TA list of Quebec City hotels, but I couldn't resist! I was torn between (3) different hotels that were ranked really high on the list, but decided to take the plunge and book at the Frontenac. I figured our trip will be so much more rememorable! I always look on TA when booking a hotel and this is the first time I booked something so far down on the list! I wonder why it isn't ranked of the 10 ten hotels in that area....I guess I will find out for myself!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

THe difference between 1st and 20th of Tripadvisor is really nothing in many cities, QC included. I have stayed at the Frontenac at least 10 times in the past five years and I have loved every visit. I have stayed other places and really enjoyed them, but the Frontenac is something special.

ANother thing to do is email the hotel when hubby is out, give them your booking number and tell them about your surpise trip, ask if you can get the "very best room that your rate will allow" as it is such a special occaision for you, as it is. I promise they will take care of you.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

Great tip from bogwoppit regarding contacting the hotel first about your surprise. We stay there quite often, it is my favorite place, and they will treat you VERY VERY WELL!

As for the ranking, some of the rooms can be small, and sometimes the grand dame shows her age in a few places. I think it adds to the ambiance of the place myself. Others want more modern looking bathrooms, or chic modern furniture next to stone walls. That's fine if that is what you want. This is old world charm in my opinion, and couple it with the view, service, and yes the food and drink and I don't think it can be beat.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Scranton...
Level Contributor
33 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

Thanks again guys! I'm so glad to hear that I made the right decision in going with the Frontenac!

bogwoppit - that is a great tip, I will certainly be sending them an email to give them a heads up about the surprise.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: early Novemeber @ the Frontenac

Hi Alp250,

RE – HOTEL RANKINGS IN QUEBEC CITY

Good info here from my esteemed Quebec City colleagues… let me add some more.

By looking at your TA PROFILE, I can see that you are fairly NEW to the TA FORUMS and even to TripAdvisor… so maybe the following info about the REVIEWS Section might prove helpful.

I often find that I provide this info to Travellers to the NIAGARA FALLS FORUM… and it has been useful to those there…

The HOTEL REVIEWS on TripAdvisor is comprised of two sections… ONE that is based on STATS and one that is strictly COMMENTS

The two although displayed together when looking at a Hotel Page here on TA are indeed very different, and knowing how to read and comprehend both, means you’ll get a lot more out of the REVIEWS Sections (be it HOTELS – RESTAURANTS – or THINGS TO DO).

IF you ONLY look at the STATS you’ll be measuring apples against apples… as the information collected is the same from every Traveller (and no matter the Hotel the world over), so there is consistency in the numbers… it is measured by the Survey Portion of REVIEWS… it is numerically calculated (averaged) and contributes to the Ranking System that TA employs for each property.

As an illustration, I’ll breakdown the current standings of two of the properties that you were initially considering… and how they rank today, Wednesday ~ September 21, 2011 at shortly after 1 PM EDT here on TripAdvisor…

AUBERGE SAINT-ANTOINE – Ranked at # 3 out of 88 Hotels for Quebec City. It is a 4 Star Hotel (as awarded by the Hotel Industry based on facilities). This Hotel has 5 HOOTS for Satisfaction as awarded by TA Members like yourself who have submitted HOTEL REVIEWS. Todate there are 359 Reviews, of that 298 gave it an Excellent, 42 gave it a Very Good, and 12 gave it an Average… (these numbers aprox out to a 98% Thumbs Up recommendation). The latest Review is dated September 20, 2011.

Additionally this Hotel is a TRIPADVISOR TRAVELLERS CHOICE 2011 WINNER for the Luxury Category (again based on feedback from Travelllers… it means that “Luxury” was a word that was consistently used when commenting about this property in the REVIEWS). And it is also a 2011 CAA / AAA 4-Diamond Award Winning Hotel and has been consistently since 2004

FAIRMONT LE CHATEAU FRONTENAC – Ranked at # 20 out of 88 Hotels for Quebec City. It is a 4 Star Hotel with currently 4 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction. Todate there are 680 Reviews… of that 371 gave it an Excellent, 175 gave it a Very Good, and 85 gave it an Average (these numbers work out to an aprox 93% Thumbs Up recommendation). The latest Review is dated September 17, 2011.

Additionally this Hotel is a 2011 CAA / AAA 4-Diamond Award Winning Hotel and has been consistently since 1976.

There are only Five (5) CAA / AAA 4-Diamond Award Winning Hotels in Quebec City… the remaining 3 are…

Chateau Bonne Entente (since 2003) – Hilton Quebec (since 2000) – and the Loews Le Concorde (since 1999)

As always you’ll still want to look at the COMMENTS that are posted with the REVIEWS as well… it is a good spot to see what recent Travellers are saying about a property in regards to its PROS and CONS… Remembering though that there are some things that shouldn’t be truly in a REVIEW as a weighting factor…

The food in a Hotel Restaurant (exception being if a FREE Breakfast comes with the overnight accommodation). ALL other Restaurant Meals should be reviewed by a separate RESTAURANT REVIEW. Likewise, things the Weather, Cost of Parking, Tipping, Language, Culture etc… are just part of life in Quebec City… and shouldn’t merit on how one rates a Hotel.

Personally when looking at the REVIEWS… I typically throw out of the mix the BEST REVIEW and the WORST REVIEW... figuring that “the truth” lies somewhere in the middle. I also look at TA Member’s Contribution Numbers and Star Badges… those who have higher numbers tend to be more invested in how TripAdvisor works… so not only using TA, but also giving back. Overall I find that Members with higher numbers are going to give you a more “realistic” picture.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 21 September 2011, 16:54