We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from toronto to quebec city

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
245 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from toronto to quebec city

Just wondering whether driving from Toronto to Quebec city can be done in one day? Is it better to take the train instead? We are thinking of travelling in early April Fri-Sun.

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

Hi SYD-YYZ!

Acording to www.mapquest.com, its about 8 Hours and 30 Minutes! This does not include Traffic problems or any unexpected events.

I think it would be smart to stop in between. But I don't have much knowlage of this area. So I will let a local recommend what to do!

BTD

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

It can be done but it is a long ride (10 hours, more or less).

Train is slow and don't have very good schedule between Montreal and Quebec. For Toronto to Montreal there is more choice but it can be slow. The best train is leaving Toronto at 5 p.m. and takes a little more than 4 hours but, of course then you arrive after 9p.m. , not exactly ideal but you can still catch a late bus (everyhour until midnight) which will be quicker.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

From Québec to Niagara it's an 8 hours drive without stop so 9 hours should be enough, try to stay on the south shore of Montreal and you'll be fine, in Québec city trafic is non-existant.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

In my 10 hour evaluation I incldued rest stops and also calculated the time for quitting the huge traffic around Toronto and also the less important, but still agonizing in Montreal.

My suggestion if you come by car would be to leave Toronto at sunrise, that's probably the only time thatthere is not gridlocks on the 401.

In Montreal you will arrive by the North Shore

and it will be in this case around noon so not so much traffic headaches. I do not suggest that you take the South-Shore highways, you wil have to run trough many interconecting highways on the island and take one of the bridge tu cross the Saint-Laurent. You shoul stick to Transcanada Highway which then become Boulevard Metropolitain and follow it all the way trough. You will be able to cross the wole island on the nort side of it and join the Nort-Shore highway (Autoroute Maurice Duplessis. Then it takes only 10 minutes more than by the Sout to reach Quebec city in less than three hours. Plus there is much less traffic on this road.

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

Hi,

I am considering doing the same thing. We arrive back in Toronto (after going to NYC) on the Thursday night, picking our car up about 7pm. My plan was to have a meal in Toronto then hit the road about 9pm ish to get away from Toronto and maybe drive for a couple of hours, find a motel and park up for the night. Any suggestions where we could stop and if this is a decent time to leave Toronto with less traffic??

Many thanx!

Jen x

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

For Jen:

Leaving Toronto at night and heading east shouldn't present any traffic problems at all. We've never found that stretch of 401 busy. But it will get much busier outside Montreal and your navigating is best done in the daylight. :)

You could easily drive from Toronto till you got tired....Kingston is 3 hrs, but you'll come upon Belleville first. Should be reasonable Comfort Inns etc in either of those places.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154981-Belleville_Th…

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

Fantastic, thank you!! :o)

england
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

I did this in two stints and can only echo the views of others. Theoretically you could do it in 8 hours. (between 11pm and 7am presumably). Toronto to Montreal is straightforward but quite boring - not much to see along the way - about 5 hours. Montreal to Quebec same, straightforward, a bit more interesting and picturesque, but not much, about 2.5 hours on a good day. Getting from one side of Montreal to the other side, on the other hand, is the killer. This is by far the worst city I've ever encountered for complexity, roadworks, lack of clarity of signage, congestion, you name it. Getting from one side of Montreal to the other could take three hours in itself - no exaggeration. Sad thing is that there's no easy way (so far as I'm aware) to scout round Montreal on this journey without taking a huge detour. Pick your time for doing this with care.

Toronto, Ontario
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

Making the same journey on the long weekend - leaving east side of Toronto mid morning . . expect Quebec city at late dinner time . .

I did not have a real challenge last year getting through Montreal however, BUT have heard many horror stories. Maybe I was just lucky?

Once you get past Toronto, the drive is mind numbingly boring . . .

Toronto
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

Hi I was wondering about doing this to, but I just wanted to know about how much it would cost to take the train from Toronto to Quebec City???