We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from toronto to quebec city

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from toronto to quebec city

Just wondering whether driving from Toronto to Quebec city can be done in one day? Is it better to take the train instead? We are thinking of travelling in early April Fri-Sun.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

To find train fares, go to www.viarail.ca

Everyone has their preferences about how to drive to QC from Montreal, but we have found it much better going the north shore route.

Had this discussion with my in-laws a few years back. We were travelling with them on a trip from Oshawa in 2 separate cars and planned to meet in St-Jean-Port-Joli, 45 mins east of QC. My mother-in-law and I preferred to travel the north shore, while the guys insisted it was better to go through Montreal (via 20-40-20) and follow the south route. We each went our separate ways..... the guys got stuck in a huge traffic jam in the Montreal tunnels, while we girls sailed along the north shore, arriving 3 hours ahead of the guys!!!!!

Our total travel time: 9 Hours

Theirs: 12 hours 20 mins.

Not only did we enjoy the prettier scenery, but we also got in a few hours of shopping while waiting for the guys.

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

Can anyone recommend a place to stay at the "half way" point of this trip? We will be travelling between Christmas and New Years with 2 small children and would appreciate any suggestions from those who have done the trip before. It appears from the map that Gananoque is half way but I am concerned that there may be nothing to do there or it may be too far.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

Hi Sapuda,

Gananoque is about 3 hours from Toronto in good weather conditions. Brockville or Cornwall would be closer to the halfway point between Toronto and Quebec City. Both cities are of reasonable size and have several lodging and dining options.

Here is a link to some of the accomodations you can find in Brockville:

www.brockvilletourism.com/welcome.aspx…

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

HI and thanks for your reply. What about Kingston? Is it a better bet? Maybe a small quaint town?

thanks again.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

I would not call Kingston a quaint little place ... it's a frequent city for an overnight stay, when people prefer breaking the drive in 2. Cornwall also is. If you're looking for a quaint little place, Guananoque fits the bill.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

aarrgh! I managed to mispell it AGAIN : )

Gananoque

Gananoque

Gananoque

Gananoque

Gananoque

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

Thanks for your reply. I see in rereading my post how I may have been misunderstood - I realize that Kingston is not a "quaint little town", what I meant was, should we stop in Kingston or can someone recommend a "quaint little town" en route. I don't know muc h about Belleville and Cornwall but I am concerned that they may be too ***how can I put this*** "truck stop" for our liking. I am not looking for a place to stay just for "a place to stay" - I need a nice town, nice ambience, nice accommodation and nice food.

My concern with Gananoque is that it is really a "summer" resort town so there would be NOTHING to see or do, and, worse, nowhere to eat. At least there is more variety in Kingston.

Any thoughts?

thanks again.

Keswick Ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

I would rather stay in Kingston than Gananoque on the way. More restaurants and nicer hotels.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
70,333 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

This post is from 2006...no need to reply.

toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Driving from toronto to quebec city

Can you give me better idea when you refer to North Shore? Highway or Road number? Im planning on driving to Quebec City in the summer 09 with my kids, and Im looking thru forums for the easiest ride there. I dont want to be stuck in traffic in the midst of summer heat.