We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

Québec City seems to be on a roll as a luxury vacation. Last winter I placed a post to inform our readers that Québec City was placed in the top Winter luxury destination in the world (third I think) according to Forbes and now it is Conde Nast that placed our beloved city on the sixth rank world wide as city destination. Can you believe it not only is Qc beating Vancouver in Canada but also some tourist hotspots as Venice or Barcelona?

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

Thanks rickb... That is quite an honour indeed. Is it any wonder we love Quebec City so much.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

That's unbelievable!! There is a good reason why we love this place so much!

Belated congratulations by the way rickb on all your recent designations. Well deserved!!

JDP

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

Hey rick,

Thanks for sharing - that is absolutely amazing to hear and Quebec City so deserves this honor.

JDP thanks for pointing out about rickb becoming a DE....for some reason that slipped by me. And yes congrats as well rickb!! All the best.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

Thank you very much for the congratulations. In fact I was DE on the French forums for many years and it seems that this was what was the problem to get DE on the English side. I had many nice people recommending me in the past but the replies that they got were always evasive. Finally the Moderators contacted me after the last people vouching for me and the whole mess was resolved. So now I am not DE expert anymore on the French Forums but I really don't care because I write 95% of the time on the English ones where is more "action" and the replies of the "regulars" are much more interesting.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

I am surprised that you were given such a reason for not designating you on the English forums: I have been DE on both languages forum before - you were designated on the French forum after I left it, where indeed there is little action.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

Seems that Moderators don't even agree on that, on one side on the French forums they want to keep the few they have and on the English side they already have enough. I can tell you that the regulars here, including DEs got fuzzy answers when proposing me and it was one last recommendation, coming out of the blue from somebody that has used these forums just a few times that made it happen. Then after making me agree they came back with the Frech thing and I told them to remove me fro there. You will have thought that you were dealing with the Québec government not the proactive Moderators on a popular website!

Anyways it's a done thing now.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

Hi Guys...

Lol... NOT that we should be talking about TA Policies and how they are applied... (most certainly against the FORUMS GUIDELINES)

BUT this isn't the first time I've heard a story like this one... there seems to be a feeling that one cannot be a DE on the main English Language Forums and also on any of the many other Language Forums that are also offered... (and this is a worldwide issue... not just a Canada or Quebec one... so for example a DE who posts on the English .com site and also the Italian .it site)

However, more than anything else, I have been given the impression that it is more some sort of "technical" problem though when it comes to "badges"... that green writing that shows up at the heading of each DE's postings, more so than anything else... (can’t have postings for DEs show up on the .com site if that isn’t their “homebase”… as the DE). You would think that TA would straighten this out... and be thankful that they have DEs who are multi-lingual and willing to work both sides (or many sides) of the same equation... (ie Listings for the QUEBEC FORUM on both the .com or .ca site and the .fr one as well)… especially as many say the non-English Forums are greatly under-served with info from locals.

So much so... that some DEs from the .com versions are taking the time to read and reply to the non-English Forums by utilizing GOOGLE TRANSLATE... it is far from perfect... but it is filling a gap for some Travellers.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,308 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

I would put Québec ahead of Vancouver too. (Feeling a little traitorous today.) Well, except for your January heatwaves. Your city is one that tells a big story of the country in a very charming and intimate way. Here we stand too much devant le miroir, planning our next trendy thing. And anything older than 60 years gets torn down in favour of developers building $1 million condos. We are eye candy for the tourist, (of course residents too) but we have a lot to recover about living as a community. So well done, Québec .... for many reasons.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

Thank you MuftiMixandmatch. This thread veered off in a way that Iwas not expecting. I never ever boasted about my DE nomination and it hasn't changed my way of writing. My purpose on this thread wasreally to show how Québec City does well not only on the natioonal but on the international leve, as a luxury destination. I would just add that Qc has the big + that yes most hotels are expensive and tourists finds some restaurants overly touristy and pricey but there is still a possibiliyt for regular Joe Blos to visit La Vieille Capitale without mortgaging the house! There are plenty of restaurants just a few minutes from the tourists hounts that serves very affordable meals. Where in the world can you have lunch like at Le Parlementaire or Laurie-Raphaël at those set prices? And you can also get good lodging at still affordable prices. Even the IH has a beauticul spot just in Upper Town intramuros and has private rooms!. Not to talk of the numerous motels in Saint-Foy that we poohpooh a bit on these forums but that can be great for families on a budget that don't mind traveling to go to town.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Conde Nast place Québec City 6th city destination worldwide

>>it is Conde Nast that placed our beloved city on the sixth rank world wide as city destination<<

Who are the first five?

Thanks .