We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendations

We arrive in Quebec City on Thursday and while we have made some reservations for meals we could use help for the rest.

We have made a reservation at Le Parlementaire for lunch on Friday and dinner at our hotel, Le Champlain that night (we had wanted Saturday night but fully booked).

We need ideas for Thursday night, Saturday lunch and Saturday night. We love great food and great experiences.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Saturday lunch you could get Brittany crêpes, there are many places offering just that in Upper Town, at least 2 on Saint-Jean street intramuros and one on Saint-Louis just next door to Chateau Frontenac.

Or you could decide to go all the way to National Battlefield Park (Plaines d'Abraham) to visit the Musée des Beaux-Arts and have lunch at the restaurant there (not the café but the actual restaurant). It is closed at night so you could do the crêpes at night if you don't want something fussy.

If budget allows you could certainly go to Laurie-Raphael, this is a not so touristy place, mostly upper echelon civil servants. A bit molecular (maple sugar candy floss) and a lot of local ingredients.

Totally different Aux Anciens Canadiens will allow you to taste traditional Québécois cuisine and also many game meat preparations.

If you are in Lower Town at night you could go to Café du Monde in the Maritime Terminal.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

I would try le Pain Beni just in front of the Chateau full of locals , a very good upper scale bistro that serve local food. Nice service and decor. Paillard for lunch would also be great and Cochon Dingue for breakfeast. Ask the concierge at the Chateau they are great with recommandations

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

I agree with Aux Anciens Canadians. Order off the lunch menu which will be buried inside the dinner menu if you want a cheaper price. Also, get reservations even for lunch as the building is quite small.

We love Le Lapin Saute in Lower town, also a great lunch spot. Rabbitt and duck dishes are their specialties.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
185 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

I would recommend Cafe Conti for lunch and Le Continental for dinner (perhaps not on the same day, however)

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Hi nixon5,

Did you put your name on a waiting list at the hotel, in case of cancellation?

I have so many favorites as far as restaurants in Quebec City. One of the many places I enjoy a lot is Toast! It may be booked up, but you can try. The atmosphere is lovely and food is very good.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g155033-d1…

A few other options....Charbon (great steaks), Le Patriarche (charming and lovely service and food), Panache (very pricey, but well worth it - some of the best meals I have experienced pretty much anywhere)

Hope this helps a little and I hope you enjoy this truly amazing city.

Calgary
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

What wonderful recommendations. We are at the Chateau right now having a relax after a late lunch at le Petit Chateau. We are considering Aux Anciens Canadians for dinner tonight. We have reservations at Le Parlementaire for lunch tomorrow and Le Champlain for dinner. Saturday lunch is still up for consideration and we have reservations at Laurie-Raphael for Saturday dinner. We have breakfast included in our hotel rate so that is looked after. I have checked out the fitness room...I'm going to need it!

Thanks again,

Laurie

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Hi Nixon5,

Welcome to the QUEBEC CITY TRAVEL FORUM.

Saturday Lunch...

Agree with RICKB you might want to check out one of the many Crepe places... something that I only find done in a truly wonderful and traditional way in Quebec City (crepe restaurants being few and far between in the rest of Canada)

I have enjoyed crepes at Le Casse-Crepe Breton on St Jean Street… good any time of day and not terribly expensive (everything from Crepes Suzettes, thru to Breakfast Crepes and Dessert Crepes)... lunch & dinner options come with a salad. You can check them out online

Le Casse-Crepe Breton = http://cassecrepebreton.com/

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Have ate at many of the other Restaurants that have also been recommended... and agree that the food is marvellous... you will have a wonderful trip (savour now... work-out later)

Edited: 10 November 2011, 18:59
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

I don't want to get off topic, but Wine-4-2 my friend, please explain your new avatar?

JDP

PS I'm not being critical by the way. I just don't understand it.....

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

@Wine4-2 Le Petit Chateau is one of the crêpes places that I mentionned. So creperies are checked

Consider the Restaurant of the Museum of Fine Arts for your Saturday lunch. It is a bit farther than the other places but an easy taxi ride and you might want to walk to come back to burn off all of those calories.

Also do come back on this thread or post a new one for a foodie Trip Report. It is always fun to hear about experiences right after they happened. Yes and reviews too but it loose some immediacy for the regulars on this forum.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Hi All,

1- RICKB... sorry, I am not familar with Petit Chateau... so apologies for the overlap on Crepe recommendations.

Hope that NIXON5 enjoyed them… as I said, hard to beat out the crepes in Old Quebec.

2- JDP112456 in regards to my current Avatar

I use the now easily identifiable "wine4-2" avatar January thru October. And on November 1st switch over to something to represent / recognize Remembrance Day which happens here in Canada on November 11th (called Veterans Day in the USA)

My particular avatar is a depiction of the bronze relief sculpture (sword - helmet - and Canadian Maple Leaves) that appears atop Canada`s Tomb of the Unknown Soldier here in Ottawa (Canada`s Capital City) at the foot of the National War Memorial... and where Canada`s National Remembrance Day Ceremony happens annually (will be televised tomorrow ~ November 11, 2011 starting at 10 AM EST)… the avatar also features a single poppy that has been left atop the granite sarcophagus. Not uncommon to see such a tribute of the familiar poppy being left there year round

BUT nothing like what happens right after the annual Remembrance Day Service… when the crowd as they leave the site tend to drop their poppies onto the tomb… flooding it in a sea of red… (almost blood like)… truly a magnificent and moving sign of respect and a nation being connected to our past, present and future…

Wikipedia – Poppies on the Tomb = …wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Poppies_by_Benoit_A…

Wikipedia – Canadians Remember = …wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canadian_Tomb_of_th…

Wikipedia – Canadian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier = …wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tomb_of_the_Unk…

To be truthful, I am but one of many DEs and others (around the globe… although predominantly from countries of the Commonwealth and the USA) who choose to make a change in my Avatar for November 11th… together many of us see it as a sign of respect for the fallen, a thanks for the freedoms we enjoy today, and an ongoing hope for world peace.

I also change my Avatar to something more festive during the Christmas Season (although it does incorporate my well known wine-4-2 icon as well)… and then again something celebratory for New Years (lol… change out the wine then for champagne).

But for the balance of the year more than 10 Months… you see the familiar wine-4-2 logo.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2