We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

BROOKLYN, NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

A friend and I are starting to plan a trip to Quebec City and Montreal for Sept. My friend would like to stay at the Frontenac, a dream of hers, for 4 nights. It looks a bit pricey for that long for me, I may spend one night. I was thinking of staying nearby at a nice 'cheaper' hotel and was looking for sugestions. This way we could easily meet up to experience your city. I appreciate any guidance, would pay up to $250-$275 CAD including taxes. Thanks for your help!!!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

Lots and lots of hotels near the Chateau.

Look at the Auberge Place D'armes, right across the square, lovely rooms with an included breakfast. Another much loved gem is Hotel Le Champlain, a very short walk away, also with an included breakfast. These would be my first two choices after the Frontenac.

If neither of them are under budget for your dates come back and ask as there are others that will be cheaper, but maybe a little less lovely.

Also do keep your eye out for sales at the Frontenac, they do happen and rooms can sometimes be had for under your budget, though September can be pricey as it is a great time to visit.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 16:25
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

2 good suggestions by bogwoppit. The Hotel Clarendon is also close by, though it was just sold and some say the service has suffered. I would keep an eye on the reviews of it here. If they are good you could probably get a good deal there. It is the oldest hotel in the Old City and some of the rooms can be small, but it can also be a good deal.

JDP

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

The best view of the Chateau Frontenac is from Auberge Place D''Armes in some rooms you can see it from your bed. I second Bogwoppit, this is one of my favorite. 2 old buildings joined together and one of them was a wax museum until 3 years ago. Stone walls and modern amenities with a good service, recommended by National Geographic Traveler, can't go wrong.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
880 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

Just got back from my second stay at L'Auberge Place d'Armes; it's directly across from the Chateau Frontenac. They offer a range of rooms/prices; you are sure to find one to suit you. I've never liked the Frontenac since Canadian Pacific sold it to the Fairmont group; somehow the soul went out of it. L'Auberge Place D'Armes is full of heart and soul as well as charm and comfort; I highly recommend it.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

Hi Tellurian,

I just love that little hotel, will you post a review about your trip in Quebec? We did not ear about you since a long time give us your feedbacks.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

Welcome back Tellurian!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
880 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

Thanks Eirelover and whitestoneny - will get on a report and updated review on Auberge Place d'Armes soon..

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

Just to mention that Canadian Pacific didn't sell to Fairmont but the exact opposite: it is CP Hotels that swallowed Fairmont!

So why the name Fairmont tagged on this and other properties? An international survey indicated that customers would be more attracted to the Fairmont name than by CP Hotels.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
880 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

Interesting; thanks for the clarification, rickb. Still, there were some kind of sweeping policy changes that altered the atmosphere when the Fairmont name went up. I remember talking with staff about how they no longer got great family discounts and such. The public areas became far less welcoming to the public -- e.g. removal of lobby furniture and keycard-locking basement level rest rooms.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any hotels near Le Chateau Frontenac?

The staff at the Frontenac get great friends and family discounts. I am staying there on one in April, and i have for the past four years thanks to a close freind in Lake Louise. There are also great disocunts for "friends of the Chateau", I enjoy those as well.

I think the less welcoming public areas became necessary with the masses of tourists looking for washrooms etc.

I love the Auberge Place d'Armes too, but the Frontenac is a very special place to stay.

Get answers to your questions about Quebec City