We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec New Year 2013/2014

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec New Year 2013/2014

Hi All,

I plan to stay in Quebec City from 30 December 2013 to 2 January 2014. We will be in Montreal for 2 days before this. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for what to do for New Year? I will be travelling with my husband and, although we are both mid 20s, we are not interested in nightclubs and are happier with a nice restaurant and a few drinks!

Also, what area/ hotel would be the best to stay in at this time of the year? We would like a 3/ 4* hotel for under £100 a night if possible!

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
434 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

Since you are staying for such a short period, I advise you to stay in the old Quebec, uptown. It is the most beautiful and unique area (and close to most attractions) and I found two hotels in your price range: L'hôtel du Vieux Québec and Le Manoir d'Auteuil. They are in the best listed on Trip Advisor for Quebec city. You should take a look at the reviews. Will you be using public transportation or you will rent a car? If you have a car, you have to pay extra for the parking. If you don't want to pay extra for the parking, you can choose from many hotels in Ste-Foy along Boulevard Laurier but this place is not really charming. It is just a shopping area.

For the restaurants, I would advise you to take a look at the restaurant Reviews. Personaly, 2 years ago, my family had Christmas dinner at ''Les Anciens Canadiens'' and it was very nice. It is in one of the oldest house in the city and it is decorated like in the good old days and the food is traditional French Canadian. Some people say it's touristy but we still love it. My family and I enjoyed our meal very much. If you do not want to order traditional French Canadian food, you can do as my husband did and have salmond. My husband said that it was one of the best salmond dishes he'd had in his life. I had lunch a couple of times there too. Lunch is very cheap (even with a little bit of wine or beer) but dinner is quite expensive, especially for Christmas and New Year. For any good restaurant, remember to reserve in advance for the holidays (on the 1st of January, it is very important but OK for the other days for you).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

You will want to book sooner than later, as your budget might be cutting it close if you put it off....

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

Thank you very much for the advice. We have booked the Maison du fort. Availability doesn't show on TA but it is rated as 2nd best hotel in Quebec City if you search without dates. So hopeully will be nice! Our second choice was hotel viuex bu was working out a little more expensive.

The French Canadian restaurant sounds lovely. I will have a look at that to maybe book it for dinner on New Year's Eve! Are there fireworks or anything on New Year's Eve?

We will be using public transport, so taking a taxi from the airport. We are from the UK and not experienced in driving in severe winter weather so thought it would be safer not to hire a car!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

There will be music, and perhaps fireworks outside the clubs on Grand Allee, just out side the city gates. If you ate at Aux Anciens Canadiens, all you would have to do is turn right, keep walking on Rue St. Louis, and once you walked thru the gate the street turns into Grand Allee and the entertainment wil be a short distance up.

There might also be fireworks at Montmorency Fall,s about a 15 minute drive outside the city. Don't know for sure but it would be beuatiful if the falls were frozen over at that time.

And finally, it is nice to see that a local does indeed like Aux Ancien Canadiens. It is terrific, though small. The servers will be dressed in period costumes. Make reservations early if you go.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

Why airport and cab from it to Old Québec if you are coming from Montréal?

There is an excellent bus service between Montréal and Québec City with departures every hours almost all day long and there is also the train that is less frequent but still offers 3 or 4 departures per day. and can be the best solution if the weather is iffy or really bad. Arrivals for both at the historical Gare du Palais where you can hop on a cab and be in your hotel in less than 10 minutes.

Orléand Express does the bus route and Via Rail the train. It used to be that the train was more expensive but now prices for the train varies a lot and you usually get some web discounts and other specials. It is too early to look at those since for Dec 30 only the usual rates are posted at this point, just check Via Rail in late Nov / early Dec to see what specials are available. Note that even the business class can have specials and if you come during lunch or dinner you will be served a nice meal and free pours of wine and liquors so if you hit the $69 rate is just great since you will save on meal and drinks.

Beside that I must also familiarize you with the Québec customs pertaining the parties and dinners on NYE. Like the French we usually celebrate NYE by a "réveillon" i.e a long and luxurious late dinner that ends 30 minutes or so before the countdown and then the celebration of New Year arrival with the usuap party crackers, glas of champagne, etc. So many restaurants are just offering one set menu at expensive prices and late in the evening. Otherwise some restaurants, probably like Aux Anciens Canadiens will serve early dinner so every customer from this first service will be out by 8h30pm.

It is mostly younger people that go out to party only without the réveillon and then Grande Allée is party central. In the last few years the City has refocused the célébrations on Grande Allée. No fireworks at Montmorency Falls and the one over Parliament has been displaced a bit to really go over Grande Allée. Most clubs will have an outdoor bar if not too cold, you will have dance in the street with DJs (last year it was Boy George) and after the midinight célébrations the action will move indoors.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

Thank you the the info RickB.

We are flying into Montreal and taking an internal flight rather than a bus/ train because the flight gets in at 6:30pm and I couldn't find any trains or buses running late enough. Do you think there might be an issue with flights because of the weather? I know we are on a small 37 seater plane for the connecting flight...

Your description of New Year in Quebec sounds ideal for us! A nice long meal and then head to Grande Allee! How early do you think we would need to book somewhere for New Year? Is it too risky to book when we arrive on 28 December?!

Thank you very much for everyone's help so far! I don't want to get there to find everywhere is fully booked!

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
434 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

I would think that reserving on December 28 is too late although you are only two people. When we reserved for 4 people for Christmas eve in Les Anciens Canadiens, we had reserved many months in advance. A few days in advance, I asked if we could take one extra person with us. They hesitated for a long time, the place being full and finally said ''yes, we managed a way!'' And it was more than full. I even heard a waitress say ''This is my busiest shift in my who life!". Waitresses could hardly walk between the tables. I'm quite sure it is the same for New Year's eve.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

Yup don't wait until you are already in Québec City. Usually I would say that by mid-November every place will have posted their menus and one must reserve then. If you are staying in an hotel with a concierge service then I woould suggest that you reach him/her in advance and talk about the possibilities and his/her suggestions.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

Great thank you. I will keep a look out for when the New Year's Eve menus come out and will book somewhere quickly!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quebec New Year 2013/2014

Good advice from rickb and the other posters and I agree try and book as soon as you can. It is busy during the holiday season ...so if you have something specific you want to do- book now to avoid disappointment.

Besides the wealth of information on this site check out the following link for a few more ideas.

quebecregion.com/en/…holiday-season

I can't think of a better place to spend part of the holidays! Have a great time!