We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec hotel tax

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec hotel tax

I just got back from Quebec and was trying to figure out how to get the tax back on my hotel but I'm looking at the itemized bills and I don't see the GST/HST listed anywhere. There's a Tx Heberg (lodging tax?) which amounts to about 3%, a TPS which is about 6% and a TVQ which looks like about 7.5%. Do I get any of this back or did I not get charged the GST/HST?

I didn't buy anything while in Quebec so I'm just trying to figure out if I get anything back on my accomodations.

Thanks!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec hotel tax

I would be surprised if you could get any tax refund from your stay in a hotel: normally, when you travel in a foreign country you are entitled, as a non resident, a tax refund on goods, not on services (hotels, restaurants).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec hotel tax

TPS is French for GST. GST paid on hotel stays by visitors are enligible for refund, subject to conditions.

cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/…P46_2156

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec hotel tax

Canada is the only place I've ever gotten tax back on a hotel, don't ask me why.

Thanks for the clarification of the GST, it hadn't occured to me that it was in French.....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec hotel tax

Yes, Canada is one of the rare places where they will refund the tax paid on a hotel room. I filed the form last time I was in Montreal, and did get the money back!

Quebec city, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec hotel tax

Yes you'll have your money back for accomodation taxes. Make sure that you fill the form and keep all your bills but ask the front desk clerk to print a bill with only the charges of the room because lunchs, phone calls and any other charges can't get you any refound.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec hotel tax

Learn something every day ...

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec hotel tax

The reason why non-residents of Canada get back the GST they pay on accommodation is that when the GST was introduced, the tourism industry screamed like heck about the tax making Canada non-competitive in a global tourism market. So visitors from outside Canada can get a refund on the GST on accommodation and goods taken out of the country, but if you are a Canadian travelling within Canada, you're out of luck. Go figure.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec hotel tax

On a related note, has anyone successfully received a refund of the GST on a Priceline bid? Priceline refuses to give me an itemization of the taxes and surcharges so all I have is the confirmation with the room price and a total for taxes. Fortunately I only booked one night with them, if the tax is 6%, I'm only out about $5US.

My husband tells me that Priceline was sued over this issue, not sure if they are charging the tax and then claiming the refund themselves or just not paying the tax to the Canadian Government but seems to me that something fishy is going on if they won't itemize the taxes.

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quebec hotel tax

It isn't enough just to have the receipt listing the GST amount that was charged. When we got to the border, we were told that a number of the places we stayed had not put their hotel code number on the receipt, so we couldn't get the GST refunded. We didn't know that there had to be such a code, so we didn't look for it, but we know for next time.

10. Re: Quebec hotel tax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Quebec City