We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working Farm Visit

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Working Farm Visit

We will be visiting Canada in Sept/Oct 2018 and are keen to spend 2-3 days (last week of Sept) on a working farm - cereal, canola etc and sheep. We come from a wheat/sheep farm in Australia and would like to see how it is done in Canada. Not interested in horses/ranches. Any suggestions?

12 replies to this topic
Paradise, Canada
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Working Farm Visit

Do you plan on working on the farm? If so, you must apply for a work permit. Without a work permit you will be denied entry into Canada.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
26,613 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Working Farm Visit

As in your post on the Alberta forum, quarantine may be an issue. You could try contacting the agriculture associations.

http://www.saskcanola.com/

http://www.saskwheatcommission.com/

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
587 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Working Farm Visit

I think if you check out/join some face book groups like Saskatchewan farmers group or there many others...that you can make contact with some prairie farmers....I m sure youll have success

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Working Farm Visit

Where in Saskatchewan?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: Working Farm Visit

My brother-in-law raises cattle and farms several sections with a variety of grains and hay. The end of September is harvest and they will be out in the fields 16 hours a day, as long as the weather is good. My husbands family raises sheep and also are grain farmers, but would be too busy for guests.

As mentioned, you cannot perform any work or 'help out' when you visit, without a work permit. So observation will be your only option. Best of luck in finding a host.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Working Farm Visit

Hi Chefathome - you ask - where is Saskatchewan? We are open to any location (we don't know the area at all) - as long as it is reasonably easy to get to and has a nice mix of wheat/sheep.

Edited: 24 January 2018, 17:06
1 post
7. Re: Working Farm Visit

Where in Canada are you looking to do this? If you are going to be in Regina Sk, look up www.fenekfarms.ca. They have an airbnb option.

Regards,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Working Farm Visit

Thanks Josef. We will look into it. We were hoping for something either close to Calgary or close to Quebec City. However we have not had any luck in those areas, so we will check out Regina. Thanks again, Brendan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
61 reviews
9. Re: Working Farm Visit

You may also want to think about quarantine issues entering Canada. I know one of the questions on the incoming passenger card is whether you have visited a farm and plan to visit a farm in Canada. You will have to answer yes to this question if this is indeed your plan.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: Working Farm Visit

Also look into Australia's quarantine laws on the way home. I image they are also strict. You don't want to risk bringing something back to your farm.

Reply to: Working Farm Visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted