We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route to Flin Flon

Meerbusch, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
41 reviews
Route to Flin Flon

Hello,

I'm planning a trip from Vancouver to Toronto next year in September. For the part from Saskatoon to Winnipeg, I thought it might be nice not to take the direct highway, but the road via Prince Albert, Flin Flon and The Pas instead.

Now my question is: Is it worth it? And is it a normal road or a gravel road? We will rent an normal car and I won't like to drive over gravel roads for days.

And - last but not least: Does anybody know a nice hotel on this route?

Best greetings from Europe!

Stephan

Richmond Hill
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Route to Flin Flon

Hi Stephan,

I grew up in Flin Flon. The drive from Winnepeg to Flin Flon is about 8 - 10 hours. Pretty boring drive as I remember growing up. The section near Winnepeg is flat prairie land while the terrain north of Swan Lake is pretty rocky....but don't worry, the roads are paved. If you like the outdoors and experiencing northern Canada, then do the extra driving. The most spectacular sights I can recommend are when you drive through Alberta into BC!

Hope this helps a bit.

Ernie

Meerbusch, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Route to Flin Flon

Hi Ernie,

thank you very much! That helps me a lot! I think, I will try the tour...

I think it must be great driving in such a lonely area! :-)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
152 reviews
3. Re: Route to Flin Flon

Just be aware that there will be areas without any cell phone coverage. So make sure you have an emergency kit packed.

Meerbusch, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Route to Flin Flon

Thank you for this advice. But what do I have to put in such an emergency kit.???

Alberta
1 post
5. Re: Route to Flin Flon

Hello Stephan, i was born and raised in Flin Flon, It is a nice little town. The drive from Saskatoon Sask. Is approx 6 hrs. All paved roads with lots of lakes and trees along the way. If you would like a nice place to stay, Ted Olsen is a flin flon man who had a hunting accident as a young man and was left blind. He actually built a camp ( with cabins) and has run it along with his family for many years now. I don't remember the name of the camp, however, if you are interested i will look into it for you. It is approx 1-1.5 hrs from Flin Flon. It is on the Hansen Lake road as you drive from Prince Albert to Flin Flon.You could do some fishing and hiking around the camp.

The highway from Flin Flon to Winnipeg is a long one. Again all paved. There are lots of little towns along the way to stay in.

Hope this helps a little.

Warren

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,595 posts
103 reviews
6. Re: Route to Flin Flon

Hi struppi2209;

The direct route from Saskatoon to Winnipeg is approx. 485 miles / 780 kilometres. The route that you are inquiring about is approx. 815 miles / 1310 kilometres.

The most important item to carry is a good quality map ! While cellular telephone service will not be available in some areas, it wouldn’t hurt to carry a cell phone with you.

For an emergency kit, I would suggest;

warm clothes for each person

a flashlight

a candle

matches

snack foods

water

soft drinks

first-aid kit

newspaper / magazines

You should note that one-way car rentals can be quite more expensive, as the car MUST be returned to its point of origin.

Are you planning to drive from Vancouver to Toronto, or just some sections?

Best Regards

Meerbusch, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Route to Flin Flon

Hello,

thanks to all for the good advices! We plan to start our trip in Vancouver in early September next year. I plan to travel trough BC some days up to Prince George, than down to Jasper and Banff. After that, we want to drive east via Calgary and Saskatoon to Winnipeg. At the end we plan some days for recreation in Algonquin Park and fly back to Europe from Toronto in early October.

What do you think about these plans?

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,595 posts
103 reviews
8. Re: Route to Flin Flon

Hi struppi2209;

WOW !!! What ambitious plans !!!

Canada is a huge country, approx. 9,984,670 sq km / 3,855,103 sq mi, almost 28 times the size of Germany.

Have you looked at the distances of your planned trip?

Vancouver to Winnipeg (via Prince George, Jasper, Banff, Calgary, Saskatoon, Prince Albert, Fin Flon, The Pas) is approx 3465 km / 2155 miles.

The trip from Winnipeg to Algonquin Park is about 1875 km / 1165 miles.

Then from Algonquin Park to Toronto is another 256 km / 160 miles.

Overall, almost 5600 km / 3500 miles of driving. A lot of your time will be spent driving long distances between locations. Personally, I would rather spend my time sightseeing, than driving from city to city.

Each rental location owns, insures, and licenses its own vehicles. As I mentioned in my previous post, the rental car will have to get back to its point of origin some how. The cost of the rental car’s return will be included in your overall rental cost, which will already be quite high, as you will have the car for an entire month.

You could easily spend a week in Vancouver, a week in Banff and Calgary, and a week in Toronto.

After much thought, here is my suggestion. Your time would be better spent by breaking up your 1 large trip, into 3 smaller trips, renting a car in each city.

1. Fly into Vancouver and tour the area.

2. Fly from Vancouver to Calgary, and tour the area.

3. Fly to Toronto, and tour the area.

Best Regards

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Route to Flin Flon

I agree that those are very ambitius plans. How much time do you have for this holiday? You're plans are totally possible but you would need quite a bit of time to do it.

The drive through the Rockies is absolutely incredible and I would absolutely recommend that you make that drive. What I don't think would really be worth it would be going all the way up to Flin Flon. There's not much to do in Flin Flon. It is an attractive area but after a 6hour drive I've had my fill of it, you may be different.

I think my route (assuming you really want to go to Prince George) would be Vancouver - Prince George - Jasper - Edmonton - Calgary - side trip to Banff - Drumheller - Saskatoon - Winnipeg - Toronto.

If you don't need to see Prince George then I would go Vancouver - Jasper - Banff - Calgary - Drumheller - Saskatoon - Winnipeg.

What you need to remember is that driving across Canada is similar to driving across Europe. Most Europeans I've talked to seem to think that a 2hr drive to another city is a long distance. Calgary to Saskatoon is about 5 hours with only small towns along the way. There are times when you don't even pass a town for almost an hour.

Meerbusch, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: Route to Flin Flon

Hello all,

thank you for all your advices. In the meantime, we have cancelled our plans to drive to Flin Flon. I think you're right if you say that's too far.

So we will take the shorter trip - as proposed - from Vancouver - Cariboo Highway to Barkerville / Prince George - Jasper - Lake Louise (4 days stay) - Calgary - Saskatoon - Winnipeg - Algonquin Park (3 days stay) - Toronto. For the trip up to Prince George, we've planned 3 days - and 4 days for the trip from Winnipeg to Algonquin Park. All together, we have 3 1/2 weeks for the whole trip. All the stations I've marked on my travel map.

The long distances without meeting anybody don't bother us. In contrary - we've traveled from Toronto along the Gaspé and Lac St. Jean area in Quebec and back to Toronto this spring and enjoyed it a lot. It was the most relaxing holiday we've ever had! So we are looking foreward to have a beautiful holiday in western and central Canada this fall. And we certainly hope to get a good impression of the famous "Indian Summer". Flights and car are already booked!!