We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watrous/Manitou Beach

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
4 posts
121 reviews
Watrous/Manitou Beach

We are looking to visit this area in the next couple of months and would appreciate anyone that has been there RECENTLY giving us their opinions on a place to stay or avoid. What the lake is like to swim in. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
91 posts
138 reviews
1. Re: Watrous/Manitou Beach

I have not stayed at Manitou Beach recently, but thought I would "wade in" since you have not had any replies in more than a week, and I thought some info would be better than nothing.

I have stayed at Manitou Springs and Mineral Spa a number of times in connection with work, and have also gone as a day guest to the pool many times. The hotel is fine, and I find the pool has a therapeutic effect, although most of the people I travel with, and in particular my steady date, do not like it because the water is opaque, smelly, etc. More to the point, it has been closed recently by the Health Region, with no quick fix in sight. Apparently the filtration system is badly deteriorated because of the high mineral content of the water, and there is no ready way of repairing that.

I have stayed at Manitou Nu Inn and enjoyed it, but I understand the bad reviews it gets. It is pretty pricey for very standard accommodation that has not been updated within memory.

Friends have recommended Serenity View B&B. There are also many, many other small establishments as well as private rentals that could be investigated.

Most people do not like the lake all that much, I have never seen a significant number of people in the lake. There is a lot of flora in the water as well as brine shrimp, and I find it cold. Certainly, it would be quite cold for the next few weeks. On the other hand, it is open, and my date finds it much more attractive than going into the smelly, opaque pool. There is nothing quite like the degree of bouyancy that you experience here.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
4 posts
121 reviews
2. Re: Watrous/Manitou Beach

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I heard about the spa closure, I wonder if they will just close it down for good. I was surprised that I hadn't heard from anyone as I thought this was a pretty popular summer spot! I had heard a few things about the lake and now it's confirmed that I won't swim in it :-) . With the mineral spa closed down perhaps I will pass on that area this time. Thanks again for your help!

3. Re: Watrous/Manitou Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 00:15