We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

My husband and I are in the process of scheduling a 4 day birding trip in Quintana Roo after a conference in Cancun in August. We are looking for transportation as well as a good guide as my husband does not want us to travel by ourselves - no matter how many articles I show him about the how safe the Yucatan is. I have contacted EcoTurismo Yucatan (whom I have read good things about on this forum) and Trails Mexico.

I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or comments about Trails Mexico.

Thanks!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

Are you coming to the Yucatan or staying in Quintana Roo? Lots of options around these parts!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
2. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

My husband will be attending a conference in Cancun and we will be taking four days or so afterwards for a birding trip. We are open, but thought Quintana Roo would be a good place, not too far from Cancun and a big diversity of birds at Felipe Carrillo Puerto and Coba,but there doesn't look like there are any places to stay near there. We are looking for a good birding guide to show us around. What are your thoughts?

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
157 reviews
3. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

I can't help you with Quintana Roo; not familiar enough with what's available there. I am based in Merida and there are some great birding options in Celestun, 2 hours drive from Merida, but too far from where you will be at.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
4. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

Celestun looks beautiful, but it's to far for such a short trip. I maybe contacst you in the future about it.

Thanks,

Cheryl

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

I was in Rio Lagartos 8 years ago and fell in love with the place. I'm sure it's changed somewhat but is still an excellent birding destination. I went out with Ishmael Navarro who was a great guide, spoke English well and also recommended a lovely little cassita for my stay. (I hear a hurricane washed it away several years ago.) You can also visit Ek Balam Mayan site which can be on the route back to Cancun,. I will look up the link to Ishmael if interested but you can Google him.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

Sorry, that's Ismael. I see Lonely Planet gave him good review.

Cancun, Mexico
8 posts
7. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

Hi there, i´m Luis ku a birding Guide in the yuctan peninsula more information

motmotbird@hotmail.com

Cancun, Mexico
8 posts
8. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

Hi There I´m LUIS KU a Birding Guide in the Yucatan Peninsula My service are.

Cancun, Riviera Maya, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel, Mexico, and the best place for Birding Tours are:

-Central Vallarta, Cenote Road and Botanical Garden, Dr. Alfredo Barrera Marin in Puerto Morelos.

-Muyil, Sian Ka´an Biosphere Reserve and Xel-ha Ruinas

-Coba Ruins and Punta Laguna

-Cozumel and

Ek-balam Ruinas and Rio Lagartos

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
9. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

Thank you Luis. I've already made arrangements with EcoTurismo. Maybe we can hook up next time.

Cheryl

10. Re: Birding guide suggestions for Quintana Roo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Yucatan