We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ometepe and SJDS tranportation--help

boston
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Ometepe and SJDS tranportation--help

Going to San Juan del Sur and Ometepe end of July and struggling with transportation options. Thinking that we get driver from airport down to the San Jorge port and then again from the port to SJDS where we would rent a 4x4. Its the in-between part that I need help with.

Can we rent a car in Ometepe or do we get it in San Jorge/RIvas? What about instead of a rental we hire a personal driver for the island ? Any recommendations?

Maybe just rent a car to/from Managua? Its the police stops that have me a little anxious about that option. Would appreciate any advice on getting around. Thanks

5 replies to this topic
San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1. Re: Ometepe and SJDS tranportation--help

Jackie you are right to be a bit concerned, I have been coming and now living here for around 10 years and the police do seem to look for rentals coming from the airport. Although in the amount of time I have been here I have only had to pay a ticket roadside twice while others seem to get stopped numerous times. The cheapest place to rent a car is at the airport and I have found it most times to book in advance for the cheapest rate. It is a bit confusing finding your way from the airpot to Maysa but once you are good on that the rest is easy. Much harder to do if you are flying in on a evening flight and it is dark. The last ferry leaves for Ometepe around 5:00 so I would assume you are coming in with enough time to make the ferry. You can get a car service to pick you up at the airport and take you to San Jorge as well for the ferry but they would need to know this in advance as they are normally driving passengers to San Juan Del Sur. On the island you can rent small motor bikes for around 25 per day but I do not think you can rent a car although now that there is a small airport this maybe possible. If which I think the airport is in operation you could also fly from Managua to Ometepe, I would have to do a bit of research if you need this info. Coming back from the island there is coop taxis that could take you to San Juan Del Sur. In San Juan there is two rental agencies for vehicles but once again I would look at booking in advance to ensure you have a vehicle waiting for you. I also know a tour guide that has a micro bus with driver on Ometeppe that you could hire, he is also available if you would want to climb the volcano. Let me know if you want any more info or numbers for anyone and I will post for you or email me at hanakowski@gmail.com. Have a great trip.

boston
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Ometepe and SJDS tranportation--help

Thanks. Didn't know there were flights to Ometepe. For now, think we'll just plan on driving there. In SJDS we are doing a VRBO and they will help us with the car rental there.

On the island, we are planning to stay at Totoco Lodge. I think I read you need a 4x4 to get there. I would be interested in the contact info for the personal driver.

boston
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Ometepe and SJDS tranportation--help

I forgot to ask--The flight Im looking at gets into Managua at 1:20. Is that enough time to catch the 5:00 ferry? Or should we catch the earlier flight that arrives at 11?

Isla de Ometepe...
11 posts
4. Re: Ometepe and SJDS tranportation--help

Hello Jackie,

There are still no flights to Ometepe, the airport is under construction and will initiate operations some where during the second half of 2012.

Your arrival time is ok to get to the last ferry leaving San Jorge to Moyogalpa. it leaves at 5.30pm, but keep in mind that you have to be the dock at least half an hour before departure if you should bring your own car. Driving time from the airport to the dock is around 2 hours.

I would not recommend to rent out cars on the island. They are old and my last clients, which rented out a car, broke down on their day tour. Also, you will not get a proper insurance and will have to pay for any damage on the car in case of an accident. Nevertheless Hotel Ometepetl is the rental place in Moyogalpa, but I recommend you to get a 4x4 at the airport in MGA.

In case you prefer private transportation, get in touch with Totoco as you want to stay there to help you organize transports on the island or the main land. Any decent hotel or guesthouse on Ometepe Island has drivers and guides on hand as most of the clients are asking for this services.

Enjoy your stay here in Nicaragua

5. Re: Ometepe and SJDS tranportation--help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2012, 13:49

Reply to: Ometepe and SJDS tranportation--help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rivas