We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

Is it a wise decision to think we would be ok (safety wise) driving from Franschoek to CPT for an early morning 5:45am flight? We are seasoned travelers, but I also am well aware there are areas in SA we need to avoid especially at night. Looking at a few maps and reading the forums it looks like the area near the airport is a little rougher. I was just trying to decide if we are being stupid to drive a rental car 4am ish in the area? Is it fairly easy to get to the rental car return at night with little problems? A driver will have picked us up on arrival and our car delivered the next day, so this will be the first time during the trip we will be navigating the airport area on our own.

Again we are seasoned travelers who have been all over the world. I have jsut read enough that made me wonder if our plan was wise? Timing wise this will be late August in case that matters.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited: 25 June 2013, 12:58
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

Are you renting from one of the major companies such as Avis, Hertz? Look at their web sites to be sure they will be open that early. That's important to know, no matter what you do. As for safety.. none of us can speak to that other than to say the roads will certainly be lightly traveled at that time. I think it's unlikely that bad guys would be on the lookout for tourists - but there could never be an absolute "yes, it's safe".

If it were I, I would stay the night at the Road Lodge on the airport grounds the night before the flight. That's what I do when I come into CPT late in the evening - rather than drive the 2 hours to my home over near Gansbaai.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

Hi Dave! It's Mandy. I guess I could have just emailed you for the information right :o) Thanks for the great feedback.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 13:44
north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
3. Re: Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

Bwana Dave flies in all the time so go with his advice.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,677 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

Could you arrange for your hire car to be collected the night before you fly home and get a taxi/hotel shuttle bus to the airport? This is what we always do.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will need to research a bit more to see what to do. We wanted to stay in the wine country that day instead of moving again for just one night.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

I would recommend to book the car in in the previous day, enjoy a last dinner in the wine lands and get a transport company to pick you up in the morning to take you to the Airport.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

Anyone know if the car rental agencies (Avis or Alamo are who we have booked currently) pick up from Franschhoek?

8. Re: Wise Decision? Self driving to airport for an early flight.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 00:16