We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windy weather??

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Windy weather??

Hi: I shouldn't have done it, but I looked ahead for the weather when we'll be there, and it looks like it will be very windy. I was hoping to do snorkeling, etc. Where would be the best places to snorkel if it's windy? We're staying at the MDR and I was hoping to snorkel there, but that won't be possible if it's too windy.....

Thanks,

Kay

6 replies to this topic
Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windy weather??

Kay,

It is always quite windy in Curacao, typically out of the east 12-18 mph...that's what keeps the temperatures pleasant. They tend to be less in the morning, increasing as the day goes on, and subsiding in the late afternoon. Don't worry about the wind upsetting your snorkeling from shore. The beaches along the southwest side of the island are in coves and well protected from the wind.

Jeff

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windy weather??

Thanks Jeff!

Aruba
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Windy weather??

Fortunately it is windy :), otherwise it woul be much too hot!

Stay at the left side of the bays when snorkeling. This is where the wind and waves have less influence, and where you see the most fish. You may like to have a look at tropicalsnorkeling.com/curacao-snorkeling.ht… Their eBook is very good! But also the summaries they give on their website are good.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 13:48
Montreal
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windy weather??

Thanks. I downloaded the book and printed out interesting areas a little while ago, but a revisit to the web site will be good reading on a Saturday surrounded by snow outside.

K

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windy weather??

Curacao is windy from mid march to mid/end of may. Some days worse than others. This will not really hamper snorkeling at the beaches on the south side.

Edson, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windy weather??

If it is windy head to Lagun, it has the most protection in the area where you are staying, we saw squid, scorpion fish, three types of eels and white spotted file fish just to name a few. We also had the tropical snorkeling e book, their directions are good. If you want some other snorkeling advice, pm me.

Reply to: Windy weather??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sabana Westpunt
More Sabana Westpunt Topics