We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Day of Arrival--need some feedback

Taunton...
Level Contributor
882 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Day of Arrival--need some feedback

The day we arrive, we'll need to get a rental car and then also do some grocery shopping on the way to Westpunt area, where we'll be staying for 4 nights and then we'll be spending the next 5 nights at the Hilton. We always like to split our trips between rentals and hotels so we can see see both sides of the island easily.

My question is the day we arrive...how much time should we expect to spend on the car rental aspect and where to go grocery shopping? I understand the car rental time will vary a little depending on who we choose-- but from what I've read and correct me if I'm wrong..most of the local car rental places can't rent you a car at the airport or drop it off their anymore and you have to go to their respective offices?

On the grocery store--what the best option on our way to Westpunt for a grocery store visit? We'd be looking for basic staples some fruit, juices, breakfast items, light snacks for the kids and beer.

Also, it seems around 45 mins to a hour to get from Airport to Wespunt area--is this accurate as well? We were in Curacao before, but it was some time ago and I cant remember how long the ride out West was...

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
4 replies to this topic
Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Day of Arrival--need some feedback

The best supermarket to visit is Centrum Supermarket. When you leave the supermarket take a right. Soon you will a roundabout (if you go to Lagun take a right here) but to get to the supermarket drive straight. You will see the supermarket on your right after 3minutes).

If I am correct. There is a pickup bus that will go to the rental offices but better is to check it with the rental company.

Yes, From the airport straight to west punt will be a 45 minute ride.

Mentioned in this post
Lagun
Lagun
Curacao
Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Day of Arrival--need some feedback

On the directions above, when you leave the AIRPORT (not supermarket) take a right.

Yes, I can confirm that the local rental car guys do have a shuttle to there offices, which by the way are very close to the airport. Even with a shuttle ride it will still be much faster than major rental companies.

Cape May Court...
Level Contributor
356 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Day of Arrival--need some feedback

This is what we do.....we always rent from budget and never had a problem except from this past November. The problem was not from budget but from the couple in front of us without a reservation and nitpicked the entire contract taking up about a half hour of time usually its about 10 minutes. We stay in Lagun which is about 35 minutes from the airport pending on traffic and about 10 minutes from Westpunt. It is an easy drive. If you are going to the supermarket for some quick basics you have 3 options that are not out of the way and they have everything that you need:fruit, juices, cereal, paper products, beer, wine, and booze. First is 82 market which is about 2 mile on your right hand side after the circle you will take to Westpunt. Next is California supermarket which will be about 10 more miles on your left hand side. You cant miss it because its with a few other stores and Curacao just added speed bumps in that area so you will be sure to notice. Last there is a small store in Barber which is about 10 more minutes up the road. All 3 places have what you want and need. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Lagun
Lagun
Curacao
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Barber
Barber
Curacao
Taunton...
Level Contributor
882 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Day of Arrival--need some feedback

Any suggestions for local rental companies that you may have used before.. i know i can search on TA Forum and also look at most popular posts, but figured if you have any experiences that would be great. Before we stayed at Marriott and we rented it right from Alamo and it was fine.. but this time we don't have luxury of going to hotel first and then renting it.. we need a car right from the airport and also a car that seats 2 adults and 3 kids...thanks!

Reply to: Planning Day of Arrival--need some feedback
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sabana Westpunt
More Sabana Westpunt Topics