We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - cost of living

nortonchef
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Help - cost of living

I'm looking to volunteer for two months in a school in Honiara. Accommodation will be included but no meals. Roughly how much should I budget per week as an estimate?

Also, how much does the diving cost? Any ideas?

1 reply
New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Help - cost of living

If you eat like the locals, on local produce and fish, food is very cheap. As in a papaya the size of a rugby ball for NZ$0.50, or a pile of aubergines for NZ$2, tomatoes at a similar price but you get a mixture of ripe and unripe!

If you want western goods, there is Wings Supermarket in downtown Honiara, and the main one for expats is at Panatina Plaza, which even has a proper deli, AND sells cheese - but beware, at NZ$80 per kilo for ordinary cheddar, it is THE most expensive cheese I have ever seen. It has to be airfreighted in due to low demand. If you like chocolate biscuits etc., plan on 2 - 3 times what they cost in the west.

And due to ants and other pests, pretty much everything has to be stored in the fridge, especially sweet things like jam. You will probably do your cooking over a gas burner. Hope this helps!

Reply to: Help - cost of living
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadalcanal Island